Is this creaking noise normal on Elektra Microcasa a Leva?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
GregoryJ

#1: Post by GregoryJ »

I just got this machine and already took the group out and added lubricant to the 2 piston seals. I'm just wondering if this noise is normal or if there is something else that needs to be lubricated. Please listen around 0:16 for the noise I am talking about.

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

That sounds like something with the spring. What I have seen in the past sometimes occur is the spring shifting around a bit such that when it gets compressed and or released, it rubs a bit against the group cylinder. My first thing I would do is check to see if the spring is aligned pretty straight/centered. If this has been happening for a while a mark would likely be visible on the group cylinder but it sounds like it started only after lubing the seals. The act of taking out the group assembly and putting it back in may have been enough to shift the spring slightly.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

GregoryJ (original poster)

#3: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Hi Ryan, I'm not sure how long it has been going on. I got the machine last week after it was ~1 year old. I pretended like I knew something about levers and took the piston out right away to inspect the seals and add some lubricant. Should I add some lubricant to the ends of the spring as well? (locations circled in the picture)

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

You would not want to lube there as that may increase the chances of the spring slipping and moving. What I know some people have done was make some gaskets for the spring the rest against on both sides, but I would first see if the spring can be slightly jostled around. For reference I probably applied 5-10 lbs of force before I saw my spring budge a bit. If you can do this try to get the spring as centered as possible.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

GregoryJ (original poster)

#5: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I removed the piston and I did notice some marks on the inside of the cylinder that matched up with some marks on the spring. I gently pushed on the spring from all sides and twice I heard it creak a little, but then I could not make it creak any more, so I assumed it had slid into its proper position. I reinstalled and pumped it up and down a couple times and it was much quieter. I still heard a little creak if I didn't pull straight down. My lever can rotate left and right by ~5 degrees as I pull it down.

Next, I pulled a shot and it was completely silent! I will consider this a small victory, and keep an ear on it for the next couple of days.