Is there a mod to get maximum steam output fast on La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dreamercross

#1: Post by dreamercross »

It just gets kind of tiresome having to make so many turns on the knob. I know coffee-sensor makes a push knob that does the job but it costs a lot of money.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

You can add a silicone tube to the end of your steam valve pin.
It's a very easy mod and it works quite well.

Check post #46 here: Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers
LMWDP #592

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
mwynne

#3: Post by mwynne »

The B-push you mentioned is the only full on-off mod I've seen. I went for a lever/knob hybrid myself. You still have to spin it, but it's single finger operation (I find ~2.5 full rotations on my unit is as "max" as the steam gets). There may be others, but Creative Werk (https://www.etsy.com/shop/CREATIVEWERK) does a brass version as well that inspired my build.

LMWDP #673

dreamercross (original poster)

#4: Post by dreamercross (original poster) »

LObin wrote:You can add a silicone tube to the end of your steam valve pin.
It's a very easy mod and it works quite well.

Check post #46 here: Heat control mod for 2nd Generation La Pavoni Levers
Oh I already have that to fix my leaking steam wand. Actually, how do I tell whether my steam is at max output? The poster said he reached max in half a turn bit I can't really discern the difference in sound towards the higher end so I just open the steam knob all the way
mwynne wrote:The B-push you mentioned is the only full on-off mod I've seen. I went for a lever/knob hybrid myself. You still have to spin it, but it's single finger operation (I find ~2.5 full rotations on my unit is as "max" as the steam gets). There may be others, but Creative Werk (https://www.etsy.com/shop/CREATIVEWERK) does a brass version as well that inspired my build.
That's really cool, how did you make it?

mwynne

#5: Post by mwynne »

Basically a straight replacement of the bakelite knob with a wooden one. Removed original knob, tapped the hole in the steam rod with a 4mm tap. Hole in the wooden knob the same diameter as the steam rod, with a small hole across for a 4mm set screw. Lever on the end is a bike shifter bolted into a recessed thread insert. Knob itself is recycled skateboards (made by someone else). You could take the general concept and use a totally different kind of wood body + anything vaguely lever shaped.
LMWDP #673

LObin

#6: Post by LObin »

dreamercross wrote:Oh I already have that to fix my leaking steam wand. Actually, how do I tell whether my steam is at max output? The poster said he reached max in half a turn bit I can't really discern the difference in sound towards the higher end so I just open the steam knob all the way
That's the thing... You don't need turn the knob all the way to get max steam power. A few degrees after the first hiss and you're there. Maybe one turn but not much more. Makes it much easier to stop it when you've reached your desired milk temperature. I'm assuming you have a single hole steam tip, correct?
LMWDP #592

dreamercross (original poster)

#7: Post by dreamercross (original poster) »

mwynne wrote:Basically a straight replacement of the bakelite knob with a wooden one. Removed original knob, tapped the hole in the steam rod with a 4mm tap. Hole in the wooden knob the same diameter as the steam rod, with a small hole across for a 4mm set screw. Lever on the end is a bike shifter bolted into a recessed thread insert. Knob itself is recycled skateboards (made by someone else). You could take the general concept and use a totally different kind of wood body + anything vaguely lever shaped.
Thanks!
LObin wrote:That's the thing... You don't need turn the knob all the way to get max steam power. A few degrees after the first hiss and you're there. Maybe one turn but not much more. Makes it much easier to stop it when you've reached your desired milk temperature. I'm assuming you have a single hole steam tip, correct?
Ohhh. The whole time I thought I had to loosen the knob fully to get full power, thanks! Yep, I'm using a single hole tip.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
mwynne

#8: Post by mwynne »

I can send you more detailed pics of the process if you want - feel free to send a DM. I actually made my proof of concept with a wooden cabinet knob from the hardware store before getting this version made.
LMWDP #673