Is there a lever guide? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Amberale

#21: Post by Amberale »

Pressino wrote:Actually the only real "improvement" I note after looking at the Faema Baby schematic and comparing it to the Robot is the use of as double walled water chamber to aid in temperature stability...something that wasn't commercially as available when the Baby was produced, but which wouldn't be all that difficult to imagine when making a copy of the design today. Otherwise, the design essentially the same and if anything the Faema is even more sturdily built.

I'm not knocking the Robot. I'm really more curious whether or not Faema let the patent expire or didn't feel like challenging the Robot design or maybe even granted use of their design.
I am even more peeved with Faema for totally ignoring the owners of these classic machines and not providing replacement pistons, seals, baskets and holders.
There are a lot of Babys out there that are not functional because of the lack of one of these items.
Gabor occasionally does a run of pistons that accept a Robot seal.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

Pressino wrote:I'm not knocking the Robot. I'm really more curious whether or not Faema let the patent expire or didn't feel like challenging the Robot design or maybe even granted use of their design.
The patent would have expired over 40 years ago. FAEMA, the company, is long gone. (Currently, Cimbali owns the Faema brand name.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

I don't know about the patent, but the use of modern materials, the fine tolerances of fit, the heavy weight of the basket, portafilter and other steel parts and the pressure gauge make this something that will last and last. I've compared them side by side, and the Robot has a lot more heft and quality feel to it. And the Robot is way more solidly built. Just comparing schematics doesn't tell the story. But I think we're wandering off topic.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mgrayson (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by mgrayson (original poster) »

Alas, the only way to learn is to do. It doesn't take a lot of researching before one smashes into the Robot. It looks like a relatively inexpensive way to start learning.
8)
Matt