International shipping - lever machines

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
coffeefrog

#1: Post by coffeefrog »

Does anyone have advice about shipping a lever machine from Europe to Australia (or a similar distance)? I am thinking seriously of bidding on a single lever machine that is supposedly about 50kg and would appreciate some advice on arranging shipping: who is good to deal with, how to arrange packing, and what issues to look out for.

Greg
LMWDP #015

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

gidday Greg,

I have imported about half a doz machines from EU -> NZ over the past year. Some times have been easier than others and I offer you the following comments:
  • * Talk to you vendor before you buy to make sure that they can safely pack!
    * Get the machine packed using cardboard rather than wood. AQIS may sting you for fumigation if wood is used.
    * I have used both courier cpys and freight cpys. It is easier for the vendor to suggest a courier cpy that he is comfortable in using. Your freight will be about $600 - $900 aust.
    * I don't know about the aussie gst rules but consider talking to the vendor about the declared value
    * In Italy I have had good success with a freight cpy called BAX global.
I have come unstuck once with a machine in Germany. I ended up getting the vendor to ship to a German freight cpy and ended up organising the shipping from NZ. I work for a company that has an account with a freight cpy so this was relatively easy for me.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Presso

#3: Post by Presso »

Paul wrote:gidday Greg,
  • * In Italy I have had good success with a freight cpy called BAX global.
I don't want to spoil their rep but I have made three attempts to ship with BAX from the UK, on the last occasion the courier delivering the goods refused to release them unless I paid an additional fee(twice the original quote from BAX UK), this effectively tripled the frieght cost on 3 cubic metres of stock.

Be very wary, the people at BAX Australia don't seem to be able to communicate with those in the UK. Shop around, make sure it is FOB and that there are no "additional" freight charges once the ship docks.
LMWDP #088