Incomplete list of Gravity-fed lever machines - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HB
Admin

#101: Post by HB »

hbuchtel wrote:Nice, thanks! Unfortunately I cannot edit the list anymore because this new forum software only allows 3 pics per post...
Sorry, I didn't realize it was so low. I've bumped up the max photos per post to 100.
Dan Kehn

donn

#102: Post by donn »

donn wrote:Actually a spring lever.
I guess that also goes for Bruni "Brunella", while we're at it. Not that I've ever seen one, but Orphan Espresso mentions a spring and the lever looks like it.

The Zerowatt can be a little awkward, if you can't lean over it a bit to use your weight while operating the lever. Need both hands - the other hand goes on the little grip on the back, to keep it from tipping over.

Others I know of:
  • Bambina - Spanish machine, saw it in a local flea market. Months later it dawned on me what a great design it was, but of course too late for la Bambina.
  • La San Marco - vaguely remember from a picture. Probably a spring lever, more or less symmetrical cone or dome shape with a slot in the top for the lever.

hbuchtel (original poster)

#103: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

HB wrote:Sorry, I didn't realize it was so low. I've bumped up the max photos per post to 100.
Nice, thanks Dan. First I gotta upload all those off-site photos to the HB server!
LMWDP #53

missionhb

#104: Post by missionhb »

donn wrote:I guess that also goes for Bruni "Brunella", while we're at it. Not that I've ever seen one, but Orphan Espresso mentions a spring and the lever looks like it.

The Zerowatt can be a little awkward, if you can't lean over it a bit to use your weight while operating the lever. Need both hands - the other hand goes on the little grip on the back, to keep it from tipping over.

Others I know of:
  • Bambina - Spanish machine, saw it in a local flea market. Months later it dawned on me what a great design it was, but of course too late for la Bambina.
  • La San Marco - vaguely remember from a picture. Probably a spring lever, more or less symmetrical cone or dome shape with a slot in the top for the lever.

Hi,
Here is a picture of a blue bambina.

Cheers,
F
LMWDP CLXXIV

missionhb

#105: Post by missionhb »

Hi All,

I found this intriguing spanish machine:CAMPEONA model "22". It is a spring operated gravity-fed machine, the outer casing is 100% bakelite covered with a painted "marble" decor. The boiler is an inox cylinder communicating with a secondary rear reservoir than can be filled after lid opening. Temperature in the boiler can be read with a thermometer, like in a Gaggia Gilda first generation (the one with a single arm). The lever can be folded like in a Gaggia Gilda second generation (the one with two arms and a spring). I suspect this machine was buit in the very early 50's as well.

Cheers,
François

LMWDP CLXXIV

hbuchtel (original poster)

#106: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Nice one... clearly a lot of thought went into its design!

Two questions, can you explain how the reservoir is connected to the boiler, and what is the diameter of the basket?

Regards, Henry
LMWDP #53

missionhb

#107: Post by missionhb »

Hi Henry,

The bottom of the rear bakelite reservoir is connected to the bottom of the boiler through a semicircular rubber pipe (I'll try to add a few more pictures next week end).
The PF is 60 mm OD.

Best,
F
LMWDP CLXXIV

missionhb

#108: Post by missionhb »

Hi all,

Here are the few additional shots of the Campeona "22":

One more front view with the lever folded backwards this time:

A bottom view with a mirror (without PF): note tubing connecting the boiler and the bakelite reservoir. Note also that there is no dispersion screen: the front of the piston is visible. I cannot see clear signs indicating that this part is missing: it seems designers got rid of it. Note also the terrible electric wiring: no ground, and the contacts are 1 cm far from the portafilter, ideal to create a short circuit!

A back view with the lid of the rear reservoir in open position:

A side view showing the portafilter: the particular double spout design is probably the ancescor of the one seen in the mini Gaggia:

Best,
François
LMWDP CLXXIV

missionhb

#109: Post by missionhb »

Hi All,

Just a single picture of another spanish machine: a JATA "Piccolo Bar". It is probably the ancestor of the spring-operated "classical" zerowatt & JATA found in other posts (all produced in Barcelona, Spain, irrespective of the tag).This one is a manual lever, and has no switch, no thermostat, and no function lamp. However, it is bicolor and has a front badge that make it aesthetically pleasant.

Best,
Francois
LMWDP CLXXIV

missionhb

#110: Post by missionhb »

Hi all,

A more thorough presentation of the Campeona "Bambina". A spanish machine much reminiscent of the Bruni "Brunella". I have no idea on which came first.

Best,
François

LMWDP CLXXIV