IMS Competition Basket B582TH22 for Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Dev

#1: Post by Dev »

A few contacted IMS to make competition baskets for the Cremina but nothing came of it at the time however some adopted other baskets made by IMS.
Competition baskets for Olympia Cremina
Finally a 49mm distribution tool (Cremina, La Pavoni) is available again.

In one of the posts I documented several baskets that would fit the Olympia Cremina. What I discovered is not all baskets are the same. Out of all the baskets I tried I found the Strietman IMS 15gm baskets to be the best and a close second for the vintage Cremina basket but the Strietman is too short in height and yields less output. I also have the 18gm Strietman basket that should solve the issue with height but it does not for some reason unknown to me but it's probably to do with headspace and dose.

I also have the newer OEM Cremina basket that look like an IMS designed basket but it is not as good as the vintage basket. It also looks identical to this B582TH22 IMS competition basket. Does anyone think they are different or is it just marketing. The B582TH22 is listed on some sites to fit the Elektra and the Cremina but I think it's more or less made for the Elektra but fits the Cremina.

choroidalfusion

#2: Post by choroidalfusion »

Good topic Dev. I'm interested in the responses here. I have a new cremina, and so I only have the modern OEM basket. And I've been trying to locate a second one online. Cerini is out of stock. I'd certainly be interested in alternatives that are equal to, or superior to, the modern OEM 14-16 basket.

Dev (original poster)

#3: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to choroidalfusion »

I ordered the competition basket to compare with the various baskets that I have examined. I will compare it to the new OEM Cremina supply in both dimensions and microscopic examination of the holes.
What I found odd is the Strietman basket looks like the OEM new Cremina as far as hole pattern and type and the only difference is 2mm increase in height but it does not have the same kind of extraction. What I am hoping for with this so called competition basket is a Strietman basket like pull where I can increase to the dose by 1gm which would be perfect.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

The Strietman basket is a IMS basket. He gets them directly from IMS so it should probably be the same.

Dev (original poster)

#5: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to erik82 »

Yes it is known that IMS makes the baskets for the Strietman as well as many of new stock OEM baskets. However they are all not the same. There are differences with the height and with the way they are rolled off at the edges. Once you get passed that then you have a new differentiation which is the competition marketed baskets which claim to be of higher quality particularly the consistency with the hole size for better extraction.
The new stock Cremina baskets look like they were made by IMS however they dont extract as nice as the Strietman which is 2mm shorter.

Dev (original poster)

#6: Post by Dev (original poster) »

Before I get ahead of myself what I mean by better extraction from the Strietman basket is seeing the first few drops fall evenly and then merging into a nice rat tail extraction with very even pressure not having to do a monster pull. It also tastes better.
The new stock OEM Cremina can do this somewhat also but it requires a finer grind to lock it up with a harder pull. It also does not feel as nice or even and the taste is not as impactful.

U2u

#7: Post by U2u »

erik82 wrote:The Strietman basket is a IMS basket. He gets them directly from IMS so it should probably be the same.
I have a new Cremina SL with baskets included, plus a new stock Olympia spare basket, and a basket that came with a new stock Olympia bottomless portafilter. All three appear identical to two baskets I just received with a new Strietman CT2. All perform about the same as well - tried to identify the best one with no luck. These are 26 mm tall, purchased last December. Ending up with five the same was not the plan and there is, in my opinion, room for improvement.

Dev (original poster)

#8: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to U2u »

The new stock Cremina basket that I have is roughly 24mm tall and is not that great. The Strietman basket that is roughly 26mm is the larger 18g basket which I have and is not that great either because it needs a larger dose to extract well for the ratio I want for a single pull on the Cremina.
The Strietman has a smaller basket which is roughly 22mm which I found to be the best for extraction so far but it could be better if it were 24mm tall to hold more coffee but not too much. This is where the IMS competition fits in if it works. Let's hope.

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

Yes an 18gr basket on a Cremina isn't worth it as shot volume is too small. I also rarely use it on the Strietman as it's way too tall for how wide it is which also has a negative effect on extraction.

Very good things are on the way hopefully soon for us small lever users which is all I can say at this moment.

Dev (original poster)

#10: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to erik82 »

Agreed the 18g basket is not worth it unless you do a double pull.
I had a look at the specs of the B582TH22 and you might be right as it could be the smaller 22mm Strietman basket but with a different lip to fit both the Elektra and Cremina 67. I had to modify my Stietman baskets slightly to get them to fit so this might be the official version. I am a bit disappointed because I was hoping it would be 24mm in height as that would make the perfect ratio on a single pull.

I found the specs below interesting because it opens up a new can of worms. The B582TH22 is not suited for the new Cremina. This could explain why the new stock OEM baskets has the worst extraction on my 67. They did change the head design with the shower screen in the newer models so this could be the reason why the vintage basket works better. Even more interesting is there is another variant B582TH22N.

https://coffee-sensor.com/product/la-pa ... 2th22/Fits:

La Pavoni Professional ( PA0201 ) or Europiccola OLD GEN / PRE MILL machines;
Elektra - Microcasa ( EK0101 );
Olympia - Cremina 67 old model.

Will not fit:

Pavoni 58mm versions;
Pavoni Domus ;
Pavoni versions that do not have the lever - Such as Pub Hotel Bar;
La Pavoni Europiccola Post Millenium NEW GEN machines;
Olympia Cremina ( new model ).