IMS Competition Basket B582TH22 for Olympia Cremina - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gabe_herz

#21: Post by gabe_herz »

bakafish wrote:I trimmed the lid of my B582TH22 and B582TH29E about 1mm (total 2mm of diameter) to use them on my Cremina 1983.
Thanks bakafish! Now I know what to expect with the B582TH22 i've got ordered for my '88 Cremina.

erik82

#22: Post by erik82 »

I hope great things are coming soon. Been testing a prototype IMS basket which is the best thing that happened to 49mm lever users for a long time. It beats everything I've tried before. Extracting lighter roasts is as easy as dark roasts and a lot more body and mouthfeel, it's just amazing. Can't say more at the moment but I haven't used the stock Strietman double for a while as the prototype basket is soooo good.

Advertisement
Dev (original poster)

#23: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to erik82 »

I know you can't go into details, but I have one question.
Is this for the new Cremina or the 67 model?

erik82

#24: Post by erik82 »

I don't know the difference between the two nor do I own one so I can't answer that question. It fits my Strietman.

Dev (original poster)

#25: Post by Dev (original poster) replying to erik82 »

Interesting. I had no idea that IMS is in development of another basket for the Strietman. If so, I could get it to work for my 67.

CrabRangoon

#26: Post by CrabRangoon »

bakafish wrote:I trimmed the lid of my B582TH22 and B582TH29E about 1mm (total 2mm of diameter) to use them on my Cremina 1983.
Dev wrote: I had to modify my Stietman baskets slightly to get them to fit so this might be the official version.

The Strietman from my experience needs to be trimmed a little to fit and sometimes it can get caught on the shower head. The Competition basket does not, it is a perfect fit with good tolerance.
Could you two explain this more, or is there perhaps a video showing what to do? I had ordered the Streitman baskets in maybe 2018/2019 and when they didn't fit I thought I must file or dremel the outer edge of the basket lip. I had no means of doing so effectively, so I gave up and they live in the drawer of coffee things I never use :lol:

Also, one of you says that the current IMS basket is a good fit out of the box / as-is, but the other suggests trimming? Do I misunderstand that? I have an 83 Cremina. I am eager to try a new better basket. I had used my original OEM basket for a year or two and then the MCaL basket for about 7yr since then.
LMWDP #505

bakafish

#27: Post by bakafish replying to CrabRangoon »

I have OEM, IMS B582TH22, and B582TH29E. All need to trim the lip a little to fit my Cremina 83 group. I borrowed a mini bench grinder to do this.
Note that the B582TH22 is now B582TH22N. Maybe they are different.

Advertisement
Dev (original poster)

#28: Post by Dev (original poster) »

CrabRangoon wrote:Could you two explain this more, or is there perhaps a video showing what to do? I had ordered the Streitman baskets in maybe 2018/2019 and when they didn't fit I thought I must file or dremel the outer edge of the basket lip. I had no means of doing so effectively, so I gave up and they live in the drawer of coffee things I never use :lol:

Also, one of you says that the current IMS basket is a good fit out of the box / as-is, but the other suggests trimming? Do I misunderstand that? I have an 83 Cremina. I am eager to try a new better basket. I had used my original OEM basket for a year or two and then the MCaL basket for about 7yr since then.
I used a Dremel with a cutting stone to file some material from the edge of the lip. While I as removing material I kept test fitting until it fit well. I could have gone further as sometimes the basket would hang. What I did notice is after some use it seems to fit better over time.

With the IMS B582TH22 it was a perfect fit. I think I mentioned to this to you in a message that the problem could be that you have the spring that holds the basket in the portafilter. If so I would remove it so there is some wiggle room. I believe that is your issue.

CrabRangoon

#29: Post by CrabRangoon »

Gotcha, thanks you two. I will try out a bench grinder or belt sander, depending which I can access first. I tried a dremel to no avail - so willing to try something else.
LMWDP #505

ReiAdo58

#30: Post by ReiAdo58 »

Good morning , this is really good news for Strietman users. Please let us know when and where the new screens from IMS are available.
Many thanks in advance and kind regards
greetings from Krefeld
Reiner