Import duties to bring old levers into US?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cedar

#1: Post by cedar »

Does anyone know what import duties are charged to bring old lever machines into the US? Is there an exemption based on how old they are?

Thanks

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

it can be hit or miss, the worst that will happen is you will get the standard coffee and tea maker tariff (3.7% of declared value + shipping costs), HTS 8516.71.00

Sometimes it's less from free to 2.2% but like I said it can vary on the assigned agent looking at your shipment. I don't know of an exempt tariff thing due to age outside of the 100 year antique rule.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
cafe102

#3: Post by cafe102 »

Completely hit or miss. I've never been charged when shipped by DHL and always with FedEx. Shipments of both coffee and motorcycle gear from: UK, Italy, Germany, Japan and Taiwan.

cedar (original poster)

#4: Post by cedar (original poster) »

Thanks kindly Ryan and Bill.

Ryan do you have a link for that? I tried to find it but couldn't get it to load here:
https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=851671

IamOiman
Team HB

#5: Post by IamOiman »

I think the site is going wacky or something as I have not been able to access it either recently
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

cedar (original poster)

#6: Post by cedar (original poster) »

ok thanks. Good to know that is the right link.

cafebmw

#7: Post by cafebmw »

usually the US are very lenient regarding import duties contrasting EU countries especially germany.

i bought coffee gear, motorcycle gear, etc and never got charged. and shipping is often surprisingly fast.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

My experience with coffee roasters, espresso machines & vintage car parts is that it depends on who is delivering the package in the U.S. I never got charged with the USPS even on fairly expensive shipments. I always get charged customs fees & duties with UPS, Fed Ex & DHL.
LMWDP 267