If I Buy a Robot Will My Synchronika Hate Me?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
SandraF

#1: Post by SandraF »

Of course, my title is in jest. I've only had my Synchronika since the end of February and I'm already starting to want to try a lever machine. I like the Synchronika and everything about it, but I like the idea of something manual and not too expensive to get me into lever machines.

Has anyone gone this route? I'm sort of concerned that if I like the robot too much, my Synchronika will sit unused except for steaming milk. :?

I'm the only person who drinks coffee at my home.
Thanks for any insights & anecdotes.

Auctor

#2: Post by Auctor »

I asked a similar Q not too long ago, and definitely shared your curiosity.

Sync w/ Flow Control: Add a [Robot], sell Sync for a Londinium R24, or embrace the Sync?

I never did take the plunge myself. Once I started to figure out how to manipulate the flow control a bit better, I discovered that at least some of the rabbit holes I wanted to go down with a manual lever could be accomplished with the Sync. And I didn't want to commit the time or counter space. And I discovered, oddly, that I like drip coffee more than espresso (ha!).

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

My DE1 and Robot spar constantly and successfully, especially with medium and darker roasts.

With expensive, lighter roasts (La Cabra, Passenger, ..., lighter than what many roasters label "light" in comparison to their typical roasts), I tend to reach for the DE1. It's something of a self-fulfilling act. I haven't had as much time with lighter roasts with the Robot, so I'm not as experienced with it, so I don't spend the time to experience it with lighter roasts, so ...

SandraF (original poster)

#4: Post by SandraF (original poster) »

Ah yes, flow control. Don't have it. Not sure I want it on the Synchronika. I figure that for $399 I could dip my toe into the world of levers and give it a try. Even if it's frustrating, I could set the Robot aside and revisit at my leisure.

I have perused most of the Cafelat Robot thread also.

makspyat

#5: Post by makspyat »

I don't even have an option of adding a preinfusion to my Profitec Pro 300. And I am sooo tempted to try something like a Robot or Flair 58! But I am afraid of two things :

1. I imagine it is not great for your Synchronika / my Profitec to stay without use, since it may develop scale.

2. Would I want to go back once I try properly extracted light roast? Would I feel bad to sell (almost) new Profitec Pro 300? I am not big on lattes, but my wife adds milk - I guess peace in family is more important :D

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

I went the same route, but not a Robot. I added a V-1.1 Caravel (manual lever) and a Faema Riviera "Eagle", which is a Canadian Zacconi Riviera (spring lever). The lever machines are mostly display pieces. But, like all of my other display pieces, they are in perfect working order, and I pull shots on them occasionally.

SandraF (original poster)

#7: Post by SandraF (original poster) »

I see having two different methods for making espresso like having different shoes, bicycles or cars. They do the same thing but are different.
I wouldn't sell the Synchronika in any event. I bought it with what I saved being cooped up inside for a year. Plus it was my birthday.

lukehk

#8: Post by lukehk »

I had a rocket HX. Got a robot for exactly the reasons you mention. Enjoyed it so much but still liked some coffee more on the HX so I sold them both and got a DE1. Had I not I would have kept and used them both

#9: Post by 007 »

I have the Synchronika as my daily driver. I previously purchased a Flair when it first came out, then put it in storage. Recently my Synchronika had a broken plastic water adapter, and my wife reminded me about the Flair. Now that my Synchronika has been fixed, I still use it as my daily driver but have the Flair on the counter and pull light roast shots when I think the Flair would be better than the Synchronika. I love using both. I also recently got to play with an MCAL, and I've also used a La Pavoni. I think having a pump machine and some lever (Flair, robot, manual, spring, etc) provides continued enjoyment in the exploration of different coffees.

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

Try a Robot by all means, it makes for a perfect travel companion and gives you top lever result any day. I have a Faemina, an Urania and the Robot and results in the cup are different for each but the Robot is the only one where the number of botched shots is ridiculously low. Which do I prefer? Totally a matter of the coffee and my desire at that moment. A great ristretto from the Faemina, a nice double from the Urania or something in between from the Robot...

The Synchronika will understand it is outclassed, you may end up still using it for convenience as f.e. churning out 6 double espresso's back to back with a Robot is a challenge. If not the Synchronika will surely find a new home.

Did I say the Robot is good?
LMWDP #483