If God wanted us to go naked, we'd have been born that way.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#1: Post by RapidCoffee »

Unfortunately my Gaggia Factory portafilter was not born naked. It required a bit of help from my machinist friend, Brett Wilsey:

It was fun to watch the master at work:

I think the surgery turned out really well:

Nekkid pours are not easy to photograph on a lever machine. Have you ever tried pulling down on a lever with one hand, using your other hand to stabilize the machine with an upward pull on the portafilter handle, while simultaneously crouching down and wielding a camera? :shock:

PT's Finca El Patio, a somewhat finicky SO Costa Rican.

Downdosing to 12-13g gave better results than 14-15g doses.

Brett has graciously offered to chop portafilters for the bargain basement price of $20.
Please PM me for further info (i.e., do not post asking for ordering information).
John

prof_stack

#2: Post by prof_stack »

RapidCoffee wrote:Nekkid pours are not easy to photograph on a lever machine. Have you ever tried pulling down on a lever with one hand, using your other hand to stabilize the machine with an upward pull on the portafilter handle, while simultaneously crouching down and wielding a camera?

Downdosing to 12-13g gave better results than 14-15g doses.

Brett has graciously offered to chop portafilters for the bargain basement price of $20.
Please PM me for further info (i.e., do not post asking for ordering information).
Great photos and nice post. Brett might be a busy guy in the next few months.

Yes, I have tried to take photos while doing the other stuff and it isn't easy. You did well.

When you say 12-13g gave better results, what do you mean? Flavor, crema, ease of pull?
LMWDP #010

RapidCoffee (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee (original poster) »

I've often enjoyed Costa Ricans for drip/press/vac coffee, but never as SO espresso. PT's Finca El Patio is a lovely surprise in this respect.

However, I found it a bit difficult to get really nice-looking naked pours, even on the Vetrano. I had problems with channeling and uneven extractions at higher doses. For whatever reason, a slight downdosing was the key to "pretty" pours on both my pump and lever machines. The taste seems improved as well.

This was a bit surprising, since I'd expect a SO to be easier to pull than a blend. But PT's Bella Vita espresso blend was noticeably more forgiving, especially of higher doses.
John

Mike Panic

#4: Post by Mike Panic »

nice - im hoping my machine shop friend can hook mine up shortly

regarding costa rican - ive been pulling GREAT tasting shots with La Amistad coffee all week... luv the stuff in french press and my lever

Mike Panic

#5: Post by Mike Panic »

RegulatorJohnson

#6: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

RapidCoffee wrote:
Nekkid pours are not easy to photograph on a lever machine. Have you ever tried pulling down on a lever with one hand, using your other hand to stabilize the machine with an upward pull on the portafilter handle, while simultaneously crouching down and wielding a camera? :shock:
how bout a tripod.. and the timer?

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

RapidCoffee (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by RapidCoffee (original poster) »

RegulatorJohnson wrote:how bout a tripod.. and the timer?
That would be much too easy. :wink:
John

Espin

#8: Post by Espin replying to RapidCoffee »

Or a hi-res digital video camera, and extracting stills?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

I turned the stock p/f that came with my Microcasa a Leva into a bottomless p/f recently. No lathe but a 2" hole saw, die grinder w/1.5" cut off wheel & a hand file did the job nicely.
LMWDP 267