I'm putting together a cafe in Japan - which lever machine?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JWStarr

#1: Post by JWStarr »

I'm curious as to people's experience with lever machines in a commercial setting. Mostly I'm looking at Pavoni professional lever. Could this work in a small cafe if the customer volume isn't too high? My thought is to start with a machine like that and then buy a second one later or upgrade to a multitap machine.. I was looking and the diamante .. I'm interested in whether this could work or if their are some drawbacks that I should consider with a single lever machine. What other machines might I consider. thanks

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

I assume you've spoken with the local machine dealers in Japan? Roasters are a good resource. I don't remember who handled Bezzera in Japan, but I think it was the giant UCC and they carry several brands.

You'll want something that works well with the local 200v power, so I think checking with the local distribution should get you those answers. You can always service your own equipment and import as necessary, but do you want to be doing that when the machine goes offline and you need a fix NOW?

I haven't come across a lever yet in Japan on my limited cafe travels. I've asked around at different cafes, but nobody seemed to know of a lever espresso machine around or even that they existed. I'm sure there are probably a few though as much as Japanese love to turn so many things into an artisan skill.

Where in Japan are you going to be located? Looking for a relocation to Hokkaido in the future myself. (I'm going to miss the warm weather of Los Angeles! :shock: )
LMWDP #445

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

JWStarr wrote:I'm curious as to people's experience with lever machines in a commercial setting. Mostly I'm looking at Pavoni professional lever. Could this work in a small cafe if the customer volume isn't too high? My thought is to start with a machine like that and then buy a second one later or upgrade to a multitap machine.. I was looking and the diamante .. I'm interested in whether this could work or if their are some drawbacks that I should consider with a single lever machine. What other machines might I consider. thanks
Wait... Are you talking about the La Pavoni Professional single lever, home espresso machine? No that won't do the job if that's the question. I thought you might be interested in the La Pavoni Pub 2L/3L/4L machines. The home machine, even though it's called Professional, is really a home only machine.

So if you want a La Pavoni Pro to work for a cafe.... My La Pavoni Pro came out of a cafe like that in Palm Springs run by an old Italian guy juggling 3 La Pavoni's to make espresso!!! I wouldn't recommend that to ANYONE though.
(Granted, in Japan you might be able to make a La Pavoni be a work of art cup, but you won't move much product.)
LMWDP #445

Séb

#4: Post by Séb »

One of my customer use a Londinium L2 and it works perfectly. The machine is smaller then most 2 group pump machines and the look is really nice. I can't talk about the La Pavoni commercial version but no problem with the L2. I also believe that there is Cafe in Japan already using an L2.

JWStarr (original poster)

#5: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

I am not completely sure about the service side of things right now and don't know of any lever machines... We're in Etajima which is an island off the coast from Hiroshima. There aren't a lot of real baristas around.. it's kind of a coffee culture.. but its over run with instant auto machines.. and very bad decor..
So I am going to check out the Londinium as well .. We may have to go with a single pull for now.. as I want to invest in A Mazzer Grinder.. and need to control my costs even if I have to buy again later.. The Londinium 2 is priced more affordably than the 2 lever Pavoni although I like the design of the Pavoni more but L2 seems to be a popular/high quality machine. If I can swing it I may go for that.. We are going in a more Japanese Artisinal direction with things and it is not just a coffee spot. I'm doing wood-fired italian breads, barbq and other stuff like that... So I'm not sure how high volume espresso needs to be.. though if I want to do Coffee as Americanos and skip the drip.. I could conceive of upping the capacity to justify the $.. in the end, if I have so much volume that I can't keep up, that should mean there's enough money to invest. We're also getting an import license and getting our own bean as we have connections all over the world after years of travel.. So I guess roasters are going to be a later topic! Thanks!

#6: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

Also Danom, are you saying you have an extra one you want to sell?

#7: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

If I was to use a single pull, such as the Pavoni, (I can get one for like 1500.00 yen...) what would be the major downside? Like is the main problem that it is single pull? The Yen has been decimated this year, if you aren't aware.. so buying from Britain or such is a big hit this time period. Thanks

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

What about a kees van der westen two group lever, that would combine high-tech appeal to artisanal skills....I figure that would go over well in Japan...

I would not consider using a home La Pavoni, overheating will be a major issue in a cafe, and you'll constantly have to refill.
LMWDP #483

Séb

#9: Post by Séb »

JWStarr wrote: So I am going to check out the Londinium as well .. We may have to go with a single pull for now.. as I want to invest in A Mazzer Grinder.. and need to control my costs even if I have to buy again later..
Check the L1-P, it could be a good machine to start up with and later when the volume is higher, you add an L2 and keep the L1-P as a backup or for your rush. Don't buy an L1 as it will not be sufficient in a commercial Cafe. Get a hot water dispenser for your americano, don't use the hot water wand from your espresso machine. Start with good quality equipments to be sure to be able to produce good quality drink one after the other and increase the capacity once the sale volumes is there. Be sure to serve good cafe (that mean train well the barista) and the customers will come back.

Note that i am talking about the Londinium only because i know them and use an L1 sometime from my friend and use an L2 also and i like both but i don't know enough the others mentionned above to do a fair comparaison.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

Séb wrote:Check the L1-P, it could be a good machine to start up with and later when the volume is higher, you add an L2 and keep the L1-P as a backup or for your rush. Don't buy an L1 as it will not be sufficient in a commercial Cafe. Get a hot water dispenser for your americano, don't use the hot water wand from your espresso machine. Start with good quality equipments to be sure to be able to produce good quality drink one after the other and increase the capacity once the sale volumes is there. Be sure to serve good cafe (that mean train well the barista) and the customers will come back.

Note that i am talking about the Londinium only because i know them and use an L1 sometime from my friend and use an L2 also and i like both but i don't know enough the others mentionned above to do a fair comparaison.
I hope you have the ability to try the L-II, or the L1-P, in your 200V environment before you purchase one, and perhaps have a good discussion with the owners in your area as to what they have noticed with the machines.

I really like my L1-P and for an occasional use in a business that offers complimentary coffee it might be good, but the L-II would be the thing for a commercial environment and if the cafe' gets busy the L-III might be best.

Our local cafe' uses a Victoria Arduino 2 Group and the only complaint I have ever heard about the coffee at that location is that they are not fast enough with the delivery of the shots! I understand that some of it is the Barista's involved but waiting for the Levers is a factor and probably is the reason Bosco had/has 3 and 4 Group machines.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train