How to keep Cremina basket in when dumping puck?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TheBlacksmith

#1: Post by TheBlacksmith »

OK, I am currently using some alum tape wrapped around the basket to keep it from coming out when I dump the puck... but isn't there a better way to dump the puck (without burning your fingers holding the basket in place)?
Is there another basket that fits better?

Thanks

F.M.

#2: Post by F.M. »

Don't own a cremina, but pavoni levers have the same "issue" :D Which I now see as a "advantageous feature"!

Get used to moving your thumb over the edge of the basket before hitting the knockbox, to keep it in the PF. Seems weird at first but becomes a habit fast. I've been doing it this way for 6 months and have yet to burn my thumb.

I'm now in the habit of knocking the puck out this way, then rinsing the basket out under cold water and towel drying quickly in between shots. A clean, cool & dry basket creates a better seal with the coffee puck, as opposed to a hot wet dirty basket. I also find this set up stays much cleaner than the press-fit baskets I was used to with pump-driven machines.

espressme

#3: Post by espressme »

I use the tip of my index finger to just barely hold the basket in the pf and then back hand it onto the knockbox. I quickly learned to watch what I was doing. :oops: Some folks use a hammer and center punch or nail to put three tiny dings in the inside of the basket to make bumps on the outside which make it tight in the pf. Do not poke through the basket. Use a small hammer and then lightly tap them back if they are too tight.
The poster above is right about the stuff that may accumulate on the bottom of the basket if it is not cleaned occasionally. I clean mine after use.
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I've heard some people use a rubber band around the basket, others have hammered a dimple into the sides of the basket to make it a snug fit, and I've heard of La Peppina (45 mm basket) users using the new Riviera Eagle baskets with bumps available at Orphan Espresso to keep their baskets in place, but I just use the tip of my finger.

I like to be able to dose, level, and tamp just the basket and then gently lower it into the portafilter, which would be more difficult if it were a tight fit.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TheBlacksmith

#5: Post by TheBlacksmith »

Thanks for the input...
Do other mfr baskets fit better?

Bushrod

#6: Post by Bushrod »

Isn't anyone going to post any Youtube videos on this one?
Rich A

LMWDP #131

RAS

#7: Post by RAS »

Another approach:

What I've found to be the easiest work-around is to buy another basket to two. When I'm finished with a pull, I invert the PF onto a small plate and dump out the basket.

Another advantage of this is that I keep the PF in the brew-head while I'm prepping a basket with coffee. Gently set the just-loaded basket into the PF, and you're good to go. I can't believe the fact that the basket isn't at brew-temperature is an issue. It's never been for me.

Obviously, where this would be an issue is if you dose straight into your PF+basket. I use a manual mill, so that's not an issue for me.
Bob

SwingT

#8: Post by SwingT »

F.M. wrote: Get used to moving your thumb over the edge of the basket before hitting the knockbox, to keep it in the PF. Seems weird at first but becomes a habit fast. .
+1
LMWDP #258

mgwolf

#9: Post by mgwolf »

My thumb works extremely well to hold the basket in while I knock the PF. I do this on my La Spaz as well. After a few days, I found I liked this much better than wrestling with springs in the PF to get the basket out. Michael

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

Bushrod wrote:Isn't anyone going to post any Youtube videos on this one?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272