How to check Olympia Cremina brew temperature

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
woodmakesitgood

#1: Post by woodmakesitgood »

I recently bought an '82 Cremina, and have been learning for a few weeks now.
Not much progress in the shots though.
Using the stock tamper and varying the grind doesn't change much.
I get an ok tasting shot with just a little bit of crema...truly mediocre.

One issue I have not been able to verify by searching the forum is how to best check the temps.
I don't have a thermocouple, and am using an IR gun to measure the grouphead temp.
I hope I'm doing something wrong, because the temps seem low to me....the plate where the group meets the boiler is 149F and the shower screen is about the same. The outside of the bell is very low, 88F.
Is it more informative to measure the water coming out of the group?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

IR thermometers don't work well with shiny reflective surfaces. If you want a gross approximation, you'd have to find a spot you wouldn't mind temporarily coating with some kind of dark non-reflective paint or something like that.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

woodmakesitgood (original poster)

#3: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) replying to TomC »

Well, that explains that...I think I'll invest in some of the temp strips.
thanks

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

I do a temp strip, simple yet convenient. You could put a piece of black electrical tape on it, it's not too hard to clean off while you wait for your temp strip. Welcome to the Cremina, I think you will learn to love it!

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by jwCrema »

I had a similar initial experience with my 85 Cremina. I made a pressure gauge that replaced the standard boiler cap - this let me dial in the mechanical pstat setting. My pstat was a wee bit too low. Turning up the heat made a big difference. After the pstat was where I liked it the original boiler cap went back on and the gauge cap sits in the drawer until I need it again.

Are you sure your beans are good?

grog

#6: Post by grog »

What grinder are you using, and what beans?
LMWDP #514

#7: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) »

The grinder is a Eureka MDMCA, it seems to work well.
My grind is pretty fine at this point, but the shot is coming out much quicker than 30 seconds still. :?

I've tried beans from a local roaster, but they were over 2 weeks old since roasting.
And some various Peet's dark roast beans, with no date as far as I know.
I hope a change in bean will help. I have some Ethiopian green that I can roast myself.

I've been waiting on a 30lb rated proper size tamper to work with, and practicing on subpar beans.
But that is getting old.

grog

#8: Post by grog »

I'm not familiar with that grinder, but it sounds like you're happy with it. Your beans sound like the main issue or at least the logical starting point for troubleshooting. 2 weeks post roast (and likely well beyond with with Peets) won't give great results.
LMWDP #514

#9: Post by woodmakesitgood (original poster) replying to grog »

Supposedly its the same grinder as the Nuova Simonelli MDX....I bought it used.
I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a place that sells fresh roasted beans. I thought the Bay area (East bay) would be lousy with fresh beans. :shock:

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#10: Post by EspressoForge »

woodmakesitgood wrote: I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a place that sells fresh roasted beans.
Let me help you with that
List of our Favorite Roasters

Who is your favorite online roaster?

If your trying only local, with the exception of living near a good place, I feel it's not worth the expense to start your espresso experience with unknown roasters. Even if you are a bit of a drive, shipping isn't that expensive and for me saves a lot of hassle. If a perfect place is right on your way home from work or to somewhere you often travel then great, otherwise I suggest ordering online and try to find something that suits your taste.

Since stale grocery store coffee is nearly the same price as good specialty coffee, I feel it's also not worth the hassle or convenience.

YMMV, but when I had a La Pavoni, I found that freshness mattered a lot. The local roaster "I promise you my friend, roasted today..." Beans just didn't work for me. And at that time in another country, my only option was to start home roasting.