How much do you dose your Olympia Cremina?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Christo

#1: Post by Christo »

[vimeo][/vimeo]I have a Cremina and Rancilio Rocky. I use anywhere between 15-17 grams for a double depending on the age of my beans. I see recommendations by roasters for 20 grams but I could never get an extraction using 20 grams! Even if I grind it coarser than usual, no way can I get any flow through 20 grams. So, can anyone with a Cremina share their dose ranges? Thanks

Chris
Chris
LMWDP #476

naked-portafilter

#2: Post by naked-portafilter »

Hi Chris,

I normally use an Elektra Micro Casa Leva double basket with 18,5g coffee yielding 38-42g espresso (with Fellini move). If I rarely take the original basket I fill 16,5 g ground in it.

Gábor

JZY

#3: Post by JZY »

I use the elektra double basket and Richard Penny bottomless portafiliter and I usually dose between 16.5 to 18 grams.

grog

#4: Post by grog »

I typically dose 16g in the Elektra double. Lately I've been experimenting with updosing with Olympia Coffee Roaster's excellent Big Truck Espresso, which I have found to be a very forgiving blend. I've had good results with 17.5g with that blend. For most SOs, I've found 16g to be my sweet spot.
LMWDP #514

forbeskm

#5: Post by forbeskm »

I dose 17 grams in the elektra double basket and Richard Penny portafilter. I think I have dosed up to 17.5. Late lock in and pumps at the top, 38-42 grams output if I remember , I don't weigh the output very often, except once for another post :)

I use Luna Roaster Espresso Ottimo, great flavor, crema and they are local to me so no shipping. Every once in a while I'll try a few others but I have always gone back.

Christo (original poster)

#6: Post by Christo (original poster) »

OK, so looks like 15-18 is the range. You know, I'm not even sure what exact basket I have! Bought the Cremina used and it's got a double basket so probably an Elektra. I need to check. I do use (and love) the Richard Penny portafilter.
Chris
LMWDP #476

roadman
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by roadman »

Here's a handy guide for Cremina basket identification: 49mm Baskets for Olympias

I'm using an Elektra double for most coffees and dosing in the 15-16.5 range.

augwolf

#8: Post by augwolf »

I weigh every shot...don't know why, but now it's ingrained in the routine/ritual. I get best results dosing between 17.2 and 17.6 grams, with light tamping in an Elektra basket. Of course, dosing varies greatly between roasters and blends, but the above dosing applies to a blend roasted at a local shop, Ashlawn Farms.
LMWDP#407

summer

#9: Post by summer »

I'm in the low end - no fellini, one pull only.
Elektra double basket 14,5-15g - cremina single 10,5g.

Boldjava

#10: Post by Boldjava »

forbeskm wrote:I dose 17 grams in the elektra double basket and Richard Penny portafilter. I think I have dosed up to 17.5. ...
Elektra double, RPenny naked filter. 15g in, single pull, 21-25g out and move shot away from pour.
-----
LMWDP #339