How much do you dose your Olympia Cremina? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wreckfish

#11: Post by wreckfish »

I'm using the elektra basket with 18.5 g. Based on this thread I am going to experiment with smaller doses and a finer grind!

bakafish

#12: Post by bakafish »

I had 3 size double baskets. The old one came with my used Cremina 83 which I don't know whether it is stock or not, the new one ordered from Cerini Coffee, and the used Elektra MCAL double basket from OE.

I don't use Fellini move. The Elektra one held too many coffee grinds for me so I rarely use it. The old one has the smallest diameter and height. I prefer it with 14g. The new one's inner diameter is about 0.5mm bigger and a little bit deeper so it can hold 15g, but sometimes when I lock the portafilter, it is not so smooth because its bigger diameter.

buddman
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by buddman »

I dose 14.3 gms in the Cremina double standard filter and 16.5 in the Elektra double and Richard Penny naked pf. Lately have been using the Elektra more often getting 26 gms out with no Fellini. Using and liking Bodka's Ala Italia the past two weeks.
Some drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Christo (original poster)

#14: Post by Christo (original poster) »

Roadman & bakafish, great references to basket sizes! Did not know there were so many with slight variances. I ordered an elektra double from Cerini. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the one that came with my 1982 machine!
Chris
LMWDP #476

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by jwCrema »

I have an Olympia basket and MCAL double baskets. I noticed the MCAL baskets are deeper, per your pictures, when compared with the Olympia basket. The holes appear to be slightly larger in the Olympia basket and I find the shot seems to pull with less lever pressure.

I can't tell any difference from a taste perspective between baskets.

I am dosing down in the 16-17g range lately - I used to do 18g but like the lower range.

Fesoia

#16: Post by Fesoia »

I'm using an Cremina basket. It holds 14g max and i normally doses 12g and max 13g. Cremina prefers head room for a good extraction.

weebit_nutty

#17: Post by weebit_nutty replying to Fesoia »

+1
I have over a dozen different size 49mm baskets and have settled on the stock double basket, which when paired with a 13.4 gram shot produces the best shot. I had lots of trouble getting good shots out of my Elektra baskets.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?