How I snuck a 2 group lever into a residential kitchen.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zubinpatrick

#1: Post by zubinpatrick »

Made the counter 34" deep, raised a cabinet, barely notice it. The Supper Jolly on the right disappears into the corner. Haven't finished the kitchen yet but the general idea is there.

Michaelandcoffee00

#2: Post by Michaelandcoffee00 »

Looking good! The superjolly looks so small!

Advertisement
Swong46

#3: Post by Swong46 »

Though my 2 group lever isn't finished yet but I am trying to sneak it into the kitchen without anyone noticing... :roll:

zubinpatrick (original poster)

#4: Post by zubinpatrick (original poster) replying to Swong46 »

The problem with lever machines in residential is how high the levers are, they block cabinet doors. In my installation I tempered that with a mug shelf, since it is easy to reach around the levers to get a mug. The height of a SJ is also a problem, but most don't use the big SJ hopper (how much coffee would you be drinking daily to keep that fresh?).
The downside to all this, is tucking a commercial 2 group under a counter hardly shows off the machine. My "Antonella" is a boxy 80's looking model with a cheesy black metal flake finish, so I don't mind, if I had a great looking machine I wouldn't want to tuck it.

grog

#5: Post by grog »

Does having it set that far back affect how you pull the levers? Seems like it might be an awkward angle for the pull.
LMWDP #514

zubinpatrick (original poster)

#6: Post by zubinpatrick (original poster) »

Good point. I'm 6'2" and have disproportionately long arms so it works for me, in fact I had never even considered it might be hard for others....I'll ask my wife,...she says no problem.
On contemplation the pull on a lever is not straight up/down but an arc. A significant amount of the motion/resistance is towards the person pulling, so being back a step seems like the right place to be.