How I fell in love with my Cremina all over again.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by LBIespresso »

Don't get me wrong, I never fell out of love but adding a thermocouple to it has made my experience infinitely better.

The temp strips are decent but if you switch coffees often they are just OK.

Recently I bought a surface thermocouple and reader and it has made it so easy to find a repeatable temp. It has made my espresso so much more consistent I felt I had to share.

Here is what I bought:

https://perfectprime.com/products/tl022 ... 5761181706

https://www.thermoworks.com/MTC

I am not in any way suggesting that you buy those exact product from those vendors. But I do urge anyone with a manual lever to look into a setup like this.

There are many threads on placement of the probe so I won't get into that here but I did want to share my extremely positive experience.
LMWDP #580

mdmvrockford

#2: Post by mdmvrockford »

I agree with your post. I am currently using Taylor 9844 (3rd one despite mounting on insulation from heat). But since it is no longer sold it appears closest alternative is Taylor 9840 ( which I have yet to mod to make it work). Yes simple mod but I have two left thumbs:(

Your thermometer (provided in uri) looks more robust.
Would you mind posting picture of your setup?

After themometry I would suggest looking into Gabor's pressure piston rod gauge. That too added to my consistency with the Cremina.
LMWDP #568

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

Pic of setup here. The back of the meter is magnetic but I have not decided on the best placement yet.

I am looking forward to learning more about recovery time as well as temp throughout the shot.

I couldn't agree more on Gabor's pressure gauge. That was a great tool for learning as well as shot to shot consistency.
LMWDP #580

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

You can one-stop-shop at thermoworks with these parts. You can also shorten the cable by opening up the connector, since it has some convenient screws on it.

Helpful Tips for New Olympia Cremina Owner?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

mdmvrockford

#5: Post by mdmvrockford »

LBIespresso wrote:image

Pic of setup here. The back of the meter is magnetic but I have not decided on the best placement yet.

I am looking forward to learning more about recovery time as well as temp throughout the shot.

I couldn't agree more on Gabor's pressure gauge. That was a great tool for learning as well as shot to shot consistency.
A belated thank you "LBIespresso" for posting the picture.
I would also add you may want to consider (if you have not already done so and if applicable to your use) teflon gasket between grouphead and boiler. With the one I bought from Cerini (can also fabricate your own), I made 15 consecutive double espressos on the Cremina and only cooling needed is lock in (cold-water) chilled portafilter. Cremina is my espresso machine and my SBDU espresso machine is my milk steamer when I play barista for the in-law.

Btw, I like your Thomas Jefferson steam valve knob mod. Though my G.O.A.T. president is Abraham Lincoln:)
LMWDP #568

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

Thanks. Actually, none of the things I have done to improve my setup or my process were my own ideas. Literally everything has come from the ideas that others have shared here. So thanks to all of the contributors and moderators here on HB.
LMWDP #580

mdmvrockford

#7: Post by mdmvrockford replying to LBIespresso »

I completely agree [(a) any Cremina ideas I got are from prior ones posted on HB (b) thanks to all prior HB contributors and moderators)].
For other Cremina owners if unaware and if interested, I cataloged (up to Spring 2017) "modifications" that can be made to 1967 Olympia Express Cremina in this thread /repairs/ca ... ml#p517313 In this prior thread, the ones discussed in this thread (thermometry, Gabor's pressure piston rod gauge and the Thomas Jefferson nickel mod) all referenced. And as drGary correctly mentions, the Cremina work just fine with just few modifications (thermometry and boiler pressure gauge)/repairs/ca ... ml#p517351 . But novices like me appreciate all the other modifications to further ease use and improve consistency (for non-experts).
LMWDP #568

silkypull

#8: Post by silkypull »

LBIespresso wrote:Don't get me wrong, I never fell out of love but adding a thermocouple to it has made my experience infinitely better.

The temp strips are decent but if you switch coffees often they are just OK.

Recently I bought a surface thermocouple and reader and it has made it so easy to find a repeatable temp. It has made my espresso so much more consistent I felt I had to share.

Here is what I bought:

https://perfectprime.com/products/tl022 ... 5761181706

https://www.thermoworks.com/MTC

I am not in any way suggesting that you buy those exact product from those vendors. But I do urge anyone with a manual lever to look into a setup like this.

There are many threads on placement of the probe so I won't get into that here but I did want to share my extremely positive experience.
how did you mount the thermocouple onto the grouphead? would love to see some close up photos one you you routed the cables. the thermoworks looks pretty compact, but wondering if there are other that will be even more compact available?
LMWDP #663

spressomon

#9: Post by spressomon »

^ I used velcro to mount my Thermoworks t couple body to my Cremina and copper tape to mount the wire to the group.
No Espresso = Depresso

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

silkypull wrote:how did you mount the thermocouple onto the grouphead?
https://www.thermoworks.com/THS-600-485
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra