Hot grouphead La Pavoni Pre-millenium Professional

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Essprezu

#1: Post by Essprezu »

Hi guys,

I've made some shots and I've noticed something strange (or maybe not). When the Pstat reaches 0.8to 0.90, the temperature strip already indicates 110 degrees celsius.
I've placed the strips on the grouphead smaller diameter.

I have to cool it down first before I pull my first shot. I have the feeling that it shouldn't be like this, since I haven't pulled a shot.

Should I tweak the Pstat to 0.75 ? Or is there something else I haven't noticed? Or is there something wrong with the machine?
I have to mention that I have the pre-millenium Professional. I fill the boiler(sightglass is full).

In my second attempt the temp reached 95c degrees this time.

Cheers!

guijan12

#2: Post by guijan12 »

Can you send some pics, please?
You mean the 'neck' of the groupead?

The strip should be meassuring the temperature where the grounds meet the hot water. :wink:
I normally flush my LPP to appr 85 Celsius at that spot and temperature increases to 95 or so when pulling my 5th espresso in a row.
P-stat setting of appr 0,8 is fine.
Regards,

Guido

Essprezu (original poster)

#3: Post by Essprezu (original poster) replying to guijan12 »

I've added the picture for you. I'm curious as to what you think of this.

I can't even flush at before my first pull, because the temp would go even higher.

Atbat82

#4: Post by Atbat82 »

I'm following this closely. I have a similar machine with the temp strips in the same spot. I actually heat my machine, then turn it off while I'm dosing, grinding, etc. and then turn it back on just before I insert the portafilter. But that's kind of a pain in the butt. I'm curious how others manage this.
LMWDP #655

#5: Post by Essprezu (original poster) replying to Atbat82 »

I'm "glad" I'm not the only one having this problem. It's really bothering me.

IamOiman
Team HB

#6: Post by IamOiman »

I literally have a timer I use for my Pavoni from turn on. Generally it takes about 6-8 minutes to get pressurized and my shot is pulled between the 10-12 minute mark depending on the boiler sight glass, faster if I do a flush. Anything beyond that and it overheats without cooling techniques. This method was good enough for me in college as the time in between shots cooled down the machine such that it basically turned on from cold every time.

I grinded my weighed dose at that 6-8 minute mark, enough time for me to get a Duolingo lesson out of the way!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

#7: Post by Essprezu (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

Does your pavoni have a Pstat? If so, what's the pressure at after 6-8 minutes?and at what level in your boiler sightglass is this connected?
Maybe I can try this method a couple of times, where I stop the timer at 8 minutes and see what the Pstat is at.

IamOiman
Team HB

#8: Post by IamOiman »

P-stat is set to .9 bar, with a .1 variance in pressure. The difference in pressure setting really should not affect the temperature so much, maybe slightly change how fast the pressurized boiler heats the group. My water level will vary from the 'full' marker line on the boiler to about half an inch above the visible glass from the lower fitting. Timing is not exact since it takes less time for a more empty boiler to heat up, and I pulled so many shots I got a good feel of how much time was needed for a proper temperature.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

#9: Post by Essprezu (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

I'm really at a loss, because by the time mine reaches .9, it's already at 110, which makes no sense. I'll just have turn it off and then grind my coffee and dose at my leisure. I don't know what else can be done. It's especially frustrating because this happens even before the first shot.

jtrops

#10: Post by jtrops »

Something seems off. How does the coffee taste? Is it possible that your strips are reading high, and that you are actually in the right range, or close to it?

I have never used temp strips on my machine, but I have used two different electronic thermometers with thermocouples. The first one would go to around 70c for good shots. The second one is probably the more accurate of the two with readings between 85-87 for a great tasting shot. Both thermocouples attached in the same spot, and the same way to the group bell.

So, without some shot quality assessments the temperature discussion is missing important information.