Holy cats, I just won a Pavoni Millennium Edition for cheap

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

I already have a 2000 pre-M with 1000W single switch and pressurestat, but pre-M group. I had always kind of wanted a Millennium Edition, just to complete my "collection", but never bad enough to pay the $400+ asking prices on ebay. I threw down $255 almost as a joke, and walked away, knowing there was no way I was going to win... Yet... somehow I did. The base looks a little rusty, but it looks like surface rust. We'll see.

I have no idea how I won this, unless the market for Pavoni levers is in a downturn right now. Last I looked over the summer, used Pavoni levers were off the charts expensive. Weird.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Nice win. That is a fine looking machine with all the parts. Pricing has been all over the map this past year. I picked up a first gen for 250 in October and saw one just go for near 500. Cremina's were selling below 600 most of summer. Strange finicky market.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#3: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

forbeskm wrote:Cremina's were selling below 600 most of summer. Strange finicky market.
Darn, I guess I need to start paying more attention to ebay. I would have jumped at $600 for a Cremina this summer.

Thanks for the support on the win.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

In early January a Cremina went for $75 on Portland Craigslist. Back to the Millennium Pavoni, congratulations! But your collection is incomplete without a 1st gen. :twisted:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec replying to drgary »

Incomplete without a 1st gen Cremina? Wow, but you're setting the bar high! ;)

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

forbeskm wrote:Nice win. That is a fine looking machine with all the parts. Pricing has been all over the map this past year. I picked up a first gen for 250 in October and saw one just go for near 500. Cremina's were selling below 600 most of summer. Strange finicky market.

More accurately, quality was all over the place. They went for what they were worth. I saw nothing unusual. The ones that went for cheap were complete garbage and even some of the ones > $1000 were barely counter-worthy.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

summer

#7: Post by summer »

aecletec wrote:Incomplete without a 1st gen Cremina? Wow, but you're setting the bar high! ;)
I think he means a 1st gen Pavoni (1961-1974) - its valued as the best Pavoni-model by a lot of users. :D
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm
A 1st gen Cremina is also very nice of cause, and is close to the same as a 1st gen Pavoni - the dedicated collector would get one of each :wink:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_olympia_eng.htm

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

summer has it right. I meant 1st gen La Pavoni! :lol: Of course we did have a guy discover a La Pavoni 2nd gen and a 1st gen Cremina in his house. This is more likely to happen if you live in Switzerland.

1st gen Olympia Cremina maintenance

In that Cremina you can clearly see that Olympia Express modified a version 1.4 Europiccola. (I have the La Pavoni version waiting for its heating element.)

But I don't want to derail the main direction of this thread. I'm sure Peter will show us photos when his Millennium Europiccola arrives.
Gary
LMWDP#308

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#9: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

With my 49mm pre-Millennium, the "hot ticket", was to get Elektra double baskets, which I did, and have never looked back. Now, with the 51mm Millennium, is there another "hot ticket" for portafilter baskets, or is it best to use the stockers? What about if I drill out the bottom of the 51mm PF? Will there be more/better choices if I do that?

I drilled out the bottom of my pre-M portafilter even thought the Elektra baskets fit fine without going naked.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I think the 51mm stock basket holds a little more than the Elektra. My only hesitation about drilling out the portafilter is it gives you one less option for cooling the group as opposed to buying an additional bottomless portafilter.
Gary
LMWDP#308