Help with pre-mil Europiccola that won't turn on

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
italianfiddle

#1: Post by italianfiddle »

I bought this machine about a month ago, and it worked well for two weeks. It is a '79 copper/brass model, 49mm, dual "black" switch (red power, white I/II).

About two weeks ago, the light stopped working on the on/off. Then it just would turn on at all. I replaced the power cord (seemed like there was a short in it when I tested), as well as the switch (which probably did not need to be replaced). Now, all I get is a very brief light when I switch the rocker from "I" to "II," and no activity at all.

I have read many posts on this board, but I haven't seen exactly this symptom described. Am I dealing with a bad fuse?

My Pavoni has what appears to be a thermal fuse which is tucked up inside a cavity in the heating element. From what I've read, I'm not sure if these are made anymore?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

RobAnybody

#2: Post by RobAnybody »

hi!
you can test the thermofuse and switch with a multimeter, if the thermofuse needs to be replaced you can use this:
https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... al-cut-off
As in the discription, you have to re-use the orange sleeve.
also make sure you have the switch wired correctly (see also here1979 La Pavoni wiring
Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

guijan12

#3: Post by guijan12 »

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Are you sure the wiring to the switch is connected in the correct way?
The only way to check te heater element and the fuse, are with a multimeter, do you have one? :idea:

I found an old thread that may be of use in your case: La Pavoni Europiccola switch problem
Regards,

Guido

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Be careful when reading those two threads referenced above. In the post: 1979 La Pavoni wiring, The OP's (adcampo) initial wiring was incorrect. And in the post: La Pavoni Europiccola switch problem the OP's (pethog) machine is a very different machine with a single element and a I/II dual power switch.

Here's another possibly useful post, where the OP (MickieF) initially had it wrong, then fixed it and provided good pics of both: Wiring La Pavoni 1980 with white switch/black switch . You are similar in having a machine that originally would have had a white body switch but now has the newer black body switch.

If your wiring is correct, then the likely problem would be the thermofuse. Sometimes they get flaky when warm but will test OK with a multimeter. One way to test them is to temporarily reconnect the machine wiring so that the thermofuse is bypassed. If the machine works like a charm when bypassed but is flaky otherwise then you know that it's a defective thermofuse.

Here's a diagram for the correct black body switch wiring:
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

italianfiddle (original poster)

#5: Post by italianfiddle (original poster) »

Thank you all so much! Yes, I do have a multimeter, and with all of your feedback here, there are a bunch of things I'll be able to try. Much appreciated!!
soli coffea gloria
LMWDP #708

italianfiddle (original poster)

#6: Post by italianfiddle (original poster) »

Thanks again for all of the help with this! I did end up replacing the thermofuse, and it seems to have done the trick!

I was able to re-use the red silicon wrapping, though there was a yellow, rubbery cap which fell apart when I took out the old fuse. Will I need to replace that?

Photos of the current wiring (with new fuse) plus the old yellow cap included above and below respectively.

Thanks!

soli coffea gloria
LMWDP #708