Help - older La Romana Elettroautomatica espresso machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cartwhisperer

#1: Post by Cartwhisperer »

Hi there,
I have an old La Romana Elettroautomatica that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. There's a good story behind this machine but I believe it was purchased either late 70s or early 80s. I last used it around 1994/95. I managed to burn the element out, found a company in San Francisco to build a new element then ended up burning that one up. That was the last time it has been used.

Does anyone have any insight to history or the value of a non-functional machine? I'm inclined to sell as I now don't have the space for it.

I appreciate any information that anyone has to share!

Steve

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

That looks like a Sama Lusso with decorative superstructure. It looks like a pretty straightforward project machine if you ditch the castle on top. The group seems to be the same as a Ponte Vecchio Lusso, which is still manufactured, so you can get parts to service the group. Replacing the heating element shouldn't be hard. It looks like it was sealed with liquid gasket maker instead of a proper gasket. The pressurestat may have malfunctioned and caused overheating, or the liquid gasket leaked and shorted the element. The boiler looks a bit different, and the control knobs are routed through the front plate to accommodate the copper housing.

Here's a link showing the Sama Lusso. The link I gave you also shows a source for parts for the same machine, which is Ponte Vecchio, SRL. That last link isn't considered "safe" because the company hasn't gone to the current level of website security, but the company is known. You may also find parts availability through one of our sponsors, 1st-line Equipment, which sells the Ponte Vecchio machines.

To your question about value, I don't know many people who want the kitsched up housing and filigree, but the underlying machine should be easy to repair if you search Ponte Vecchio Lusso for parts or repair. A hobbyist would use the front plate and drip tray and grate and all of the actual working parts, perhaps fashion a cup warmer on top and a surround for the back and sides. It's not worth much as a project machine but it looks like an easy rebuild if most everything else is working well.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

larrbo

#3: Post by larrbo »

Steve,

That is one Mad-Max'd machine! If you measure the coffee basket's internal diameter as 45mm, then it's a PV grouphead. Actually, based on the handles, it looks like it was "donated" from a Riviera. Regardless, most 45mm groupheads share parts interchangeability, so grouphead parts won't be a problem.

As for the rest of the machine, it looks pretty straightforward. The heating element might be a standard water heater element screwed into a make-shift adapter. If you have access to an element wrench (usually hidden next to the water heater), see if it fits. Replacement should be pretty straight forward if that's the case. If not, triangular heating elements are pretty standard across commercial machines, so finding a replacement is doable.

In terms of selling value, I'm afraid it's not going to be worth much. It's far too massive as is, and due to modifications is not suitable for collectors or commercial use. A hobbyist might enjoy it though; the frame looks straight and the grouphead/heating element adapters look functional.

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen »

I guess I'm coming out of hibernation for this one as I also go into it with one of these beasts and fortunately didn't lose my shirt. These machines were basically brass and/or copper clad junkers and many had asbestos insulating the boiler (the one I encountered did). Some of the 2 headed (2 levered) units were setup to be run in hotel bars and the second head had a huge glass cylinder to brew larger batches of coffee (a real frankenstein). The 2 levered units did not have Lusso internals but if this single lever one doesperhaps it is worth your time to salvage it.

I personally am not fond the lusso lever due to portafilter size, poor electrics (especially older ones).

As for value I'd put it at scrap value, I contacted everyone and even some old italian importers who salvage old machines for reuse or display and no one wanted these.

So is it worth your time? that is up to you. I've got lots of old machines I'd say were worth my time at some point and I love looking at them but now I should just donate them or sell for little on here as I'd rather focus on my newer machines upkeep, espresso, and enjoying with friends/family.

Good luck...I wish it was worth a lot more than it looks.
Cartwhisperer wrote:Hi there,
I have an old La Romana Elettroautomatica that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. There's a good story behind this machine but I believe it was purchased either late 70s or early 80s. I last used it around 1994/95. I managed to burn the element out, found a company in San Francisco to build a new element then ended up burning that one up. That was the last time it has been used.

Does anyone have any insight to history or the value of a non-functional machine? I'm inclined to sell as I now don't have the space for it.

I appreciate any information that anyone has to share!

Steve

<image>
<image>
<image>
<image>
<image>

Cartwhisperer (original poster)

#5: Post by Cartwhisperer (original poster) »

Thank you Larry, Gary and Jason for your quick responses. I also appreciate you all had the same conclusion on the value of the machine. I think I'm going to try putting it on Craigslist and see if a restaurant or someone needs a decorative piece.Happy New Year.

Steve

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Steve,

Two knowledgeable collectors just provided a wealth of information on parts that are currently available to restore your machine, which is, indeed a La Romana. Please PM me for more information.

In short, a Zacconi portafilter with filed down ears can work in the group. Elektra piston gaskets can work. I can also identify the type of heating element that would work, and know of one available. Many other parts would be standard issue for a number of machines.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Steve may have moved on. Here's the information I was given offline by Jim Robins, aka "realdoctor" and another very experienced collector. They are quoted with permission.

From Jim:

"If it has the standard La Romana group, odds are that it is compatible with some of the Sama/Pontevecchio hardware and uses MCal piston seals. All the ones I have seen or owned have that set up - two "W" type piston seals and 45mm portafilter very similar to Sama.

I say "very similar," not identical, because the flanges are too thick on some of the Sama/PV portafilters to comfortably fit in the group head. A little filing down would do the job.

If I am not mistaken, this is the most common configuration for DeCarli groups. I have seen discussion of it on Kaffee-Netz too, and the same specs were reported.

Doug (Garrott) told me that the La Romana he rebuilt used a larger portafilter compatible with La Pavoni. .... They all seem to use the
MCal style seals, although it seems that the piston can be rebuilt using one "W" seal and one V-cup seal rather than two "W" seals.

PV/Sama diffusion screens and gaskets fit the 45 mm DeCarli models.

Am I right that some of the spring-lever Riviera models fit this description as well? Piston seals similar to the MCal, but the rest of the group compatible with the 45mm Sama standard?

The upshot is that the parts needed to rebuild the group are still available.

I have a suspicion that the heating element on the 120v La Romana model is compatible with the element for the old single-group Gaggia America but I have never had a chance to verify that. If so, the heating element may still be available through Ascaso. Last time I looked they had the Gaggia element catalogued along with a gasket for it. I have one of those elements in a box, but I have never managed to
get it and a La Romana in the same place at the same time.

Look into the possibility that the Gaggia America 120v element fits. The rebuilt element in that machine has little resemblance to the original and probably will not be much help in finding a replacement.

Most other things can be replaced with contemporary components. Body work is a problem (like any old machine). I recall that a few years ago Roger and I both tried to find a close replacement for the original steam knobs with little success."

From the other collector, who may have or has owned one of these:

"The manufacturer Di Carli is related by blood to Zacconi. Enthusiasts report some spares available directly from Zacconi.

All of the castings are done by the latter firm, although I doubt there are any exact exact interchanges.

Orphan Espresso did a rebuild with a write-up, but that isn't posted anymore.

At last report the ABC operation was still in the same location under new ownership and name. They stress pasta machines and brick ovens over coffee equipment today."
Gary
LMWDP#308