Help me with Faemina - video

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kidloco

#1: Post by kidloco »

Hello,

Can you please look at the video of me pulling a shot with Faemina and give me advice? Are these volumes normal and expected? How do you pull a normal 1:2 shot?

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I've never actualy measured or worried about the volume of output of my Faemina...it excels at ristretto-ish pulls...no double pulls, nothing.
If anything you may want to try a little longer pre-infusion (15-20sec) and longer pulls (grinding finer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3JPixI_wYw (personally have never used the double pull)

There is a way to adjust the volume , I think....the piston assembly is somewhat flexible if I'm not misstaken. You might be able to shorten the distance between the piston and the top of the piston rod. Just need to ensure the piston does not hit the showerscreen when assembling, but you are looking at moving the piston up.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... po_eng.htm
LMWDP #483

kidloco (original poster)

#3: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Thank you! I'll look into it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

When you pull the lever down slightly, the group begins to fill, continue pulling and the fill hole is closed, but when you pull down the lever further the fill starts again. I see that you are waiting 10 seconds with the lever just barely pulled down, in this position the piston is not fully in the up position so the fill volume will be less. I pull the lever all the way down and then wait for the group to fill, I think you'll get more volume this way.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pham

#5: Post by pham »

A few notes

I like longer shots and what I do is pull the lever, let it rise while my hand is guiding it until I see drips in cup. I Re pull the lever again and release. The Faemina has a 1-way valve design which doesn't disturb the puck during a Re pull besides the pressure This way, I get about 35g out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGs_1PjAnRU

Regarding other advice, 0.5 bar is very hot for a Faemina pull. The group head is "saturated" in a sense so I pull at 0.3 bar and i temperature surf by opening the steam wand with the heating elements turned off. Temperature can also affect shot output yield but that doesn't look to be the effect in your video

Cheers. The faemina is a great machine

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

My Faemina was set up for 0.3 Bar for low heat setting by Doug Garrott, I was able to pick mine up refurbed from Orphan Espresso when they were blowing out all their old machines to focus on making grinders. It works well that way. Good to see another Faemina user.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

I adjust mine to suit the coffee in my grinder, no clue what pressure...
LMWDP #483

kidloco (original poster)

#8: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Thank you, guys Ill try everything you said and to lover pressure a bit.

espressotime

#9: Post by espressotime »

What' s the hissing sound?

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

the faemina has a clever adjustable spring loaded pressure valve , which is a continuous bleed type. Major drawback of a faemina is that you cannot leave it on as the 1.5L boiler will empty itself.
LMWDP #483