Help identify this lever machine.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nbudor

#1: Post by Nbudor »

I recently bought this Schärf branded machine. From what I can tell, it is basically a Carimali Jollyna. These are photos from the seller, it's still on its way to me.

nirdvorai
Supporter

#2: Post by nirdvorai »

The front black sticker, looks like the sticker on the back of the 3rd version of Faema Faemina.

Paul_Pratt

#3: Post by Paul_Pratt »

nirdvorai wrote:The front black sticker, looks like the sticker on the back of the 3rd version of Faema Faemina.
Often the stickers are service tech details, so here the tech was a Faema dealer/tech.
Nbudor wrote:I recently bought this Schärf branded machine. From what I can tell, it is basically a Carimali Jollyna. These are photos from the seller, it's still on its way to me.
Yes a modified Carimali Jolly.

nirdvorai
Supporter

#4: Post by nirdvorai »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Often the stickers are service tech details, so here the tech was a Faema dealer/tech.
Thank you for clarify this.

truemagellen

#5: Post by truemagellen »

I and others have worked on that Carimali group. It is a very easy one to work on and has some quirks but overally a good one. Difficult part is finding portafilters that fit as they do not match the pump carimali machines nor current carimali parts but fortunately you have one.

Enjoy!

Nbudor

#6: Post by Nbudor »

Single group machines with this group seem quite rare, or am I mistaken. I have found only a handful of examples. I was also looking for the cover of thetop of the group but with no luck.

Nbudor

#7: Post by Nbudor »

The machine has been delivered!
Sorry for crappy pics, it's in my office because I couldn't wait.

From what I could tell at first glance, the housing has been repainted and the drip tray on top is not the original.
It is as I expected, I was going to san blast and powder coat it anyway.
The bigger problem is that all shyny metal surfaces seem to have been painted with silver paint of the 'spray chrome effect' variety. This will make polishing more difficult.
I didn't look inside, but seller claimed that machine was 'operational', all I can say so far is that lever operation is smooth. Based on the condition of the machine from the outside I'm expecting the whole works of seized bolts on the boiler, ton of scale on the plumbing, questionable electricals and prehistoric gaskets.

Paul_Pratt

#8: Post by Paul_Pratt »

It is quite different than a regular Carimali Jolly. Here is mine:

The lever mechanism is very nice, I like the group a lot. Just uses o-rings for the piston seals.

Nbudor

#9: Post by Nbudor »

Yeah, if I had to make a comparison, I'd say Carimali is designed like a 70's Italian sportscar. Scharf is more like a Volvo from the same period.
Edit:I managed to take a photo of the boiler from the bottom:

Lots of corrosion as I expected, but at first glance noting critical.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

That pressure gauge is awesome. The whole machine is really cool, but that gauge shows some real artistry and design effort.