Help identify this lever machine. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

seems Schärf is still around;http://www.schaerf.at/ueber-uns/geschichte/
LMWDP #483

Nbudor

#12: Post by Nbudor »

Yeah they're still in business, but with my limited knowledge of German, I couldn't dig anything about spare parts for the old models, or really anything about their historic lineup.
Upon further checkup, the portafilter won't move further than about 7 o'clock position which makes me think that it's wrong type. Is there a databese with portafilter dimensions?
The housing has been repainted at least once, I would say that my machine has the same base, front panel and frame as the Carimali, however the outer shell is different, being more square. The whole outer shell is made from one piece, and the top side is slightly warped, I guess this was from the heat from the boiler, which also explains the raised drip tray.
This machine is somewhat 'unique' *sigh*.

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

Nikola,

If you take photos and measurements of your portafilter, Paul Pratt can compare it to his. I expect that the brew group is identical. Also having a unique machine of that era is special. Like Tom, I like some of the decorative touches. The steam and water tap knobs are wonderfully antique and are very much like those on my 1960 Lady Duchessa. It might be helpful to write to Schaerf and see if they have photos, drawings, specs or manuals for your machine. You are writing here in English. Their company website is in English and German, and they have a contact form for you to submit questions. The company looks like a family business run by direct descendants of the founder, so you are likely to find continuity.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

realdoctor

#14: Post by realdoctor »

I have a Schärf badged Jollynea. It is a bit different. It looks like the more common model, but mine has three steam/water wands - all on the same side.

About 10 years ago, I got in touch with Schärf about the machine. Someone there recognized the model and was very eager to see it. Unfortunately, I never had time to drive it out to their shop. They said at the time that they still had some parts in inventory. Unfortunately, it's too long ago to recall the name of my contact there. I will try to post a picture of the machine later.

Jim

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Marcelnl »

TSE may also have some spare parts unless Schärf made their own. https://www.tse.at/nl/shop/index/cat/c307_Carimali.html
LMWDP #483

Nbudor

#16: Post by Nbudor »

I've contacted Schärf trough their site online form, hopefully they will be able to cast some light on the model. I've also ordered a set of O-rings and a bottomless portafilter for the lever group. The machine is actually still at my office waiting forme to take it home.

florenz

#17: Post by florenz »

Hi,
you can find some information about the Schärf/Carimali levers on german kaffee-netz. If you google "Schärfimali" you will find the relevant threads and links.
https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/iden ... erf.60122/
Good luck!
Greetings from the black forest
Frank
LMWDP#573

Nbudor

#18: Post by Nbudor »

I contacted the good people at Schärf about the machine, their representative, Mr. Christian Göls, was very helpful:
many thanks for your interest in our coffeemachines.

But I am afraid this type of machine is really vintage. It was manufactured in the 1970's till the middle of 80's.

In this time we had only hand drawings for this machine. Unfortunately they were not digitalized.
Same problem to the spare parts availability. Production of original spare parts ended about 1990.

So far I am sorry for these bad news and stay at your disposal if you have further questions.
I had to ask an older colleague about this machine and he said the same like you. He identified it as "La Carimali" but the housing is different (especially ground chassis and drip pan is different to our model)

In this case my colleague and I say that these parts are not original or similar to our version of the coffeemachine.
So, there we have it, gentlemen. I have a romantic story of the origin of my machine: it was originally used in the small caffe in the hills just outside Graz, and was used by a local young athlete to display his great strength. He would come into the cafe and lift it overhead to the amazement of customers. Alas, one day young Arnold's hands were greasy and he dropped the machine damaging the housing irreparably...

Does anyone have blueprints for housing panels of Carimali Jolly? Or do I just keep the 'hot rod' housing.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by pizzaman383 »

I would keep most of the case (repainted because red isn't my color) and make some beautiful wood side panels.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

drgary
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary »

It's a rare version of another machine that is collectible enough that Paul Pratt has one. If it were mine, I would restore it as close as possible to the original, case and all, without going to great expense because I don't think it's one that's sought after.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!