Help finding piston gaskets for a commercial vintage espresso machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
maor

#1: Post by maor »

Hello all,
I own a lever machine dated back from around 1960.
I want to purchase a set of V gaskets for the piston and having some difficulty finding them.
The local company that used to build these machines have no idea where to get the parts anymore.

Sizes are:
Inner diameter is 38mm
Height is 8mm.

I'm attaching some pictures and would appreciate any help! :)

fredgab

#2: Post by fredgab »

Hi,
the spring part and top look a lot like my brugnetti, which happens to be 38mm as well.

It look like it's a pretty standard fit, faema W and V gaskets.

I think those gaskets should fit.

https://www.ersatzteil-handel24.com/vis ... 16_FR.html

https://www.ersatzteil-handel24.com/fae ... 17_FR.html

cheers

fred
LMWDP #596

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

You can probably get away with a normal o ring. I've used normal viton orings in my caravel.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

maor (original poster)

#4: Post by maor (original poster) »

Are these two the same? Or do I need a different one for the middle shaft?

maor (original poster)

#5: Post by maor (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:You can probably get away with a normal o ring. I've used normal viton orings in my caravel.
I can't tell if the originals were normal o rings since they're so worn out... but v should do a better job don't they?

fredgab

#6: Post by fredgab »

maor wrote:Are these two the same? Or do I need a different one for the middle shaft?
Two different ones W (or X) for bottom and V for top (not sure about up or down now but could check)
I don't think you need 3 gaskets, I have two and a space in between as well. Don't think an O-Ring would work; you need the water filling the gasket to make a proper seal.

fred
LMWDP #596

Bluecold

#7: Post by Bluecold »

maor wrote:I can't tell if the originals were normal o rings since they're so worn out... but v should do a better job don't they?
Theoretically, orings aren't suitable for the low piston speeds of espresso machines, as you can get spiral failure.
In practice, I haven't noticed that in two years on my Caravel. I wouldn't hesitate to try some o rings if I would find it difficult to source new seals.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

maor (original poster)

#8: Post by maor (original poster) »

fredgab wrote: I don't think you need 3 gaskets, I have two and a space in between as well.
Thanks Fred, I think I took the middle one a part when working on it a few years ago. But now I question my memory...

Bluecold, I'll start with the v and if I'll have nothing to lose will go for the o's :)

Thanks, hope I'll manage to solve this, been lazy long enough with this project!

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

maor wrote:I can't tell if the originals were normal o rings since they're so worn out... but v should do a better job don't they?
Have you removed them? Can you show photos? Even if they're worn, you can probably see what they were.

Also I wonder if you have any badge or identifying markings on your machine, or measurements of the cylinder and the piston?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

maor (original poster)

#10: Post by maor (original poster) replying to drgary »

The gaskets seems perfectly stright.

There's nothing written on the cylinder itself, I think the company that built the machines bought the group heads from some other company abroad, but all I have is rumors...