Having trouble with Cafelat Robot - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

Never had any issue with my Robot, the process is explained pretty well in this YT video (my experience is quite similar);
LMWDP #483

Jonk

#12: Post by Jonk »

Starguru wrote:I will say it gets pretty difficult to get above 8 bar, even using my body weight.
Difficult as in straining for you? Then don't. 6-8 is fine. Especially with those burrs, you might not want to go above 6 anyway. It's not exactly recommended to go any higher, but if you want to then it's easier if you get the aluminium "hands", as you get better leverage.

You can move the gauge with a 3d printed accessory or buy a nice looking replacement from naked-portafilter.com

Those burrs are also known for accelerating shots. For light roasts I'd again suggest increasing the ratio, short or barely any pre-infusion and 15-20s shots. For darker roasts a regular ratio is fine, but fast shots are still recommended.

Starguru (original poster)

#13: Post by Starguru (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Interesting, is there somewhere I can read more about this? Also, not opposed to suggestions for other burrs to try.

I like the coffee I'm getting out of my aeropress with these burrs. I grind at 450-500um and it seems to work.

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

There are at least two long threads on here, one about SSP's version and the other Lagom's. Both are based on the same concept, heavily inspired by Ditting Lab Sweet.

SSP Lab Sweet 64mm
Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64

They're good for both espresso and filter. I've liked the results with SSP's version (1) with the Robot, but with very light roasts I can feel limited to pulling even longer ratio shots (allongé).. Tasting more like concentrated filter coffee than espresso. Not sure how much version 2 fixes this.

If you don't like acidity all that much perhaps you should stick with darker roasts or HU. Or perhaps sacrifice a bunch of dark roast to season your current burrs. I didn't find the need myself (if anything I like them less the more I've used them) but many claim to have seen improvement after quite a few pounds.

Starguru (original poster)

#15: Post by Starguru (original poster) replying to Jonk »

Thanks again. What's the top thing I can do to eliminate sourness? It's so weird that I get both sour and bitter in the same cup.

Ken5

#16: Post by Ken5 »

Starguru wrote: ...
And the damn pressure gauge is next to useless.
Yes it is.

I used a sharpie and marked on the top of the gauge to my desired target range. Works well as you can see the needle pretty well, even though it is shortened, from the top and it is easy to get it between my marks.

★ Helpful

Jonk

#17: Post by Jonk »

Starguru wrote:What's the top thing I can do to eliminate sourness?
Changing beans to something with low acidity. Choosing high ratio instead dilutes the acidity to something palatable, but my burrs definitely have an acid-forward presentation. Luckily I don't mind. I've gotten very low bitterness on the other hand, less than SSP MP.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

You should try pre-heating the basket or even the piston if you're getting sour notes now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by mborkow »

Try a darker roast coffee.

jgood

#20: Post by jgood »

I do a quick stir with a home made distribution tool before tamping -- not sure if it helps but it's a habit from my e61 - couldn't hurt. In terms of pressure/effort don't have the Robot too high up; a dining table height is good for me, the kitchen counter is too high. Leaning over the Robot lets body weight do the work, and makes the pressure gauge easier to read, even if it's upside down. And plus 1 on using darker roasts!