Hario Slim & Cafelat Robot?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kind_Karma

#1: Post by Kind_Karma »

Howdy Robot users,
Do you think that Hario Slim will work well with Cafelat Robot?

I am in the process of upgrading handgrinders. I received a Kinu M47 w/ defective catch cup, had to return it and not sure when upcoming production run will be ready for orders. I was going to upgrade grinder first, then order the Cafelat Robot because I am not sure if the Hario Slim will work well enough. I have an older Macap rebadged espresso grinder, but prefer handgrinders.

Thanks & Peace.

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Don't have a robot, but used to own a slim. It will work in a pinch, but not that well. You are better off upping your budget a bit to get a higher quality grinder.

Many of my 50+ year old vintage grinders produced better grinds than the hario.

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#3: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

maxbmello wrote:Don't have a robot, but used to own a slim. It will work in a pinch, but not that well. You are better off upping your budget a bit to get a higher quality grinder.

Many of my 50+ year old vintage grinders produced better grinds than the hario.
Thank you for your input, I agree about upgrading handgrinder. Edited original post to include the second paragraph, the original post was submitted before clicking on submit- must have hit return/enter key on accident.

maxbmello

#4: Post by maxbmello »

Makes sense! The m47 is a fantastic grinder - sorry to hear yours was defective. If you can stand it, I would wait for new stock to ship - it is worth the wait and will serve you well for years (decades?) to come.

guijan12

#5: Post by guijan12 replying to maxbmello »

+1 here.
I used to have the Hario mini slim and am now using the Kinu M47.
It is definitely worth the wait and the quality is superb.

Only if you can't wait the Hario is a cheap (and dirty) alternative.... :lol:
Regards,

Guido

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#6: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

Clarification, I have had a Hario Slim for a long time and finally ready to upgrade to a better handgrinder. Until I get my upgrade, will the Hario Slim work well enough for the Cafelat Robot? I have never used the Hario Slim for espresso.

Thanks for the Kinu M47 reassurances!

max

#7: Post by max »

Kind_Karma wrote:Until I get my upgrade, will the Hario Slim work well enough for the Cafelat Robot?
What are your expectations on the coffee?

If all I had were an Hario Slim, I would personally not even bother making espresso. (back when I had one, I'm sure I would have... but back then I had low expectations)

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

If the Hario doesn't work so well you can use paper filters at the bottom of the portafilter. If that doesn't work well, Cafelat offers a pressurized basket you can buy in addition to the regular basket. With the pressurized basket you can even use coffee that is pre-ground for a moka pot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

guijan12

#9: Post by guijan12 »

max wrote:What are your expectations on the coffee?

If all I had were an Hario Slim, I would personally not even bother making espresso. (back when I had one, I'm sure I would have... but back then I had low expectations)
Ha, ha, true that.
So in fact here the advise is just to try it out. :mrgreen:
And find out what you've missed once the real grinder has arrived..... :lol:

It really is an ongoing journey, isn't it!? :idea:
Regards,

Guido

adyu

#10: Post by adyu »

I agree. If you're getting a new grinder anyways, I would pull a few shots on the Robot using your Hario and then marvel at how much better your new grinder is when it arrives.