Guidance needed for Cafelat Robot with pressurized basket - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ken5 (original poster)

#21: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

jpender wrote:The My Weigh PointScale 500 on that web site looks pretty good. I have a My Weigh scale that works really well. They have a lifetime repair/replacement guarantee which I took advantage of when one of the buttons started acting up about ten years ago...
Weird, the my weigh website states a lifetime warranty and the old will knots site states 3 year.

Good news is that the owners manual states a 2 minute auto off, seems long enough to me.

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

Far from essential, but I'd grab the appropriate cal weight if you're ordering to save on shipping later. They're typically $10 or less. OWK shipping looks reasonable, under $5 for a pocket scale.

I'd like to hear what you end up with and how you think it performs.

Ken5 (original poster)

#23: Post by Ken5 (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Hi Jeff,

Not sure what you mean by 'cal weight.' Calibration weight? Guessing not as I am not sure what that would have to do with shipping.

On the owk site they give an estimated shipping cost of $11.55 fedex ground, only option with their estimated shipping calculator.

Ken

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff »

Interesting, that one must not fit in USPS packaging or something as I only see the FedEx option for it as well. I was looking at

Might want to give them a call if you don't see more affordable shipping if you put the scale you want into your cart.

Yes, calibration weight. Like I said, far from essential. If it weighs a bit over a pound (500 g), then it might bump up the postage too much. OWK usually lists the weight needed in their descriptions. The Pointscale page says "Calibration External : 200g (included)" so you may already have one with that scale.

Jeff
Team HB

#25: Post by Jeff »

I like that form factor, display, and its button layout as well. In some countries, under various names, and, until recently, it was available as a 1000 g unit, which would have been great. I've been looking for the 1000 g unit at a reasonable price for a while. (That way it could handle my single-cup pour-overs as well.)

I'm torn with the unit with 300 g capacity of the WEIGHTMAN. Although my espresso cups are around 130 g, my caps are at 235 g and my latte cups at 300 g. 300 g certainly seems like it would be sufficient for weighing in basket and filter or the like and with a standard espresso cup.

Edit -- Rereading the thread on the Edo/Weightman/whatever scale...

Post #48
In the big Robot thread someone posted: "I have returned replaced several of this scale (different Amazon listings the Edo one is exactly the same look) and the same versions of it on Amazon. They all have a really bad drift to them and if you remove weight then out back on it will jump around sometimes 3 or 4 grams."
Original post for above

Glad I didn't hit the "Buy" button yet.

I think that this is the one that Julia had shown early in the long thread. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-ZIP6 ... 00GTX3LAI/

The Salter one in that thread looks great, but I don't think it's available in the US market (and, alas, I'm not traveling to Europe any time soon, nor are my compatriots headed this way).

Ken5 (original poster)

#26: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Hi Jeff,

Thinking the omission of the other shipping costs is a mistake, I will ask them tomorrow via chat. Looked at the my weigh 600dt, about the same size, and all options are there.

What do you think of the d2?

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-w ... 2-660.html

Only a few dollars more.

Ken

Jeff
Team HB

#27: Post by Jeff »

I wish I could say, "I have this one and it's great."

Most of the better scales in this class probably perform about the same. Most of the designs are probably from the early 2000s. OWK freely admits that there are only a handful of OEMs that get sold under various names. They've said that the D2 is one of their best sellers in the category.

After rereading the thread and looking things up again, I don't see a clear "winner". I'm tempted by the Weightman's apparent usability and readability. The displays with blue backlights i often found hard to read, especially as they aged. The D2 looks like it has a decent display and buttons I could use as well. The AWS Cube looks intriguing, but has poor availability, suggesting to me that retailers don't want to carry it. (The Weightman has the same availability "problem", but has "free returns" with Amazon.)

I'd go with one that looks good to you and has a reputable retailer to stand behind it. At least it's a $15 purchase, not a $50-100 one as it was years ago.

Ken5 (original poster)

#28: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Interesting, that one must not fit in USPS packaging or something as I only see the FedEx option for it as well. I was looking at

'Cut away image'

Might want to give them a call if you don't see more affordable shipping if you put the scale you want into your cart.
Hi Jeff,

Thought you 'might' be interested in that I just did an online chat with them, the agent checked and said that the point scale ships directly from 'my weigh' and that is the only shipping option that is available from them. They send the other scales from their stock, so they can offer more choices. Guess that makes the d2-660 or the Mx-500 look better.

Ken

Ken5 (original poster)

#29: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Okay... got my robot today. :)

I pulled a few shots with the pressurized and non pressurized baskets and a coffee that was ground for me at a coffee shop within a range for espresso. I am waiting for a grinder :(. With the non pressurized basket I was able to get the pressure higher and pull for a longer time than with the pressurized basket using the same ground coffee. I would have thought that the pressurized basket would have been at least as hard, if not harder, considering that the coffee was the same in both baskets. Strange, no??

I had a barista express for a few days and the pressurized basket with only water got the gauge as high as using the non pressurized basket properly loaded with coffee.

I would have thought that the pull was way to quick at about 11 seconds total, but after watching Paul's cafelat video on using the pressurized basket I see that his took about 12 seconds too and he emptied all the water into his cup.

I gather that this is just the way it will be with the pressurized basket, a 12 second or so extraction with about 14 grams of coffee?

Ken

jpender

#30: Post by jpender »

Ken5 wrote:With the non pressurized basket I was able to get the pressure higher and pull for a longer time than with the pressurized basket using the same ground coffee. I would have thought that the pressurized basket would have been at least as hard, if not harder, considering that the coffee was the same in both baskets. Strange, no??
Did you use the double spouts with the pressurized basket?