Grouphead gasket for Conti Prestina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
negrocorto

#1: Post by negrocorto »

I'm having trouble locating a group head gasket for my Conti Prestina; I can't even get the Conti website to show me one. Does anyone know of a gasket from another machine that will fit? Or perhaps one of you Prestina owners might have one to sell me?

Many thanks

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

You can enter the Conti Monaco site as a visitor. From there they post a contact link to Edith/Emanuelle. I've corresponded with Edith in the past and found her helpful. Their current model with the Prestina lever group is the PMS Evolution.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Paolo

#3: Post by Paolo »

I have a Cafelat 8.5mm (blue) gasket ...dimensions 73x57x8.5
http://www.cafelat.com/silicone-group-gaskets.html
with a 0.8mm spacer in mine.

I am using a LM portafilter.

The combination works well and gives a 6 o'clock handle when locked-in.

realdoctor

#4: Post by realdoctor »

Does anyone know whether the gaskets that Ascaso catalogues for the Classica lever group work with the Prestina? The group looks the same, but people here have indicated problems with the sizing of piston gaskets. Anybody know about the portafilter gasket?

These would the same gaskets sold by Ascaso resellers like Espressoparts (formerly Espressoparts NW).

Thanks!

Jim

espressoclub FC+

#5: Post by espressoclub FC+ »

As I was curious myself for the Cafelat group gaskets and piston seals and have some Conti (Lever) OEM-group gaskets lying around, I took some quick measurements (without the proper tools its actually not that easy): ~ 72 x 56.5 x 8.5 mm.

Both these Cafelat gaskets seem pretty close: 71mm x 56.5mm x 8.3mm (Red) and 71mm x 56.5mm x 9mm (Blue). 73mm seems a little bit big, it is a tight fit:

(Sadly the silicon piston seals from Cafelat don't match the Conti Lever OEM piston seals at all)

I always order spare parts through the local Conti dealer, it saves some shipping costs. Conti discontinued the original part '002710' (see drawing of the lever group at the spare parts website) and renamed it part.nr 002711.
The Classica lever group is the same as the Prestina Lever group.

If ordering through Conti directly or through a local dealer or Cafelat or Espressoparts somehow doesn't work out I can send you an OEM group gasket at the price of the Conti website and shipping costs. (Edit: I meant that I am happy to send you one right away but I assumed you'll want to try some local or other options first)

negrocorto (original poster)

#6: Post by negrocorto (original poster) »

I talked to a guy at espressoparts.com, and was told that an Astoria group head portafilter gasket would fit, part number: SKU AS_56. I will order a couple, and report back to HB to confirm the fit.

realdoctor

#7: Post by realdoctor »

That is the Ascaso part number for the Astoria gasket. EP are Ascaso resellers and use their part numbers. The gasket that Ascaso catalogue for the Classica lever group has the part number CON.72. If the Astoria gasket does not work, you might try asking Espressoparts to order the CON.72 gasket and see if it works.

Jim

Advertisement

#8: Post by negrocorto (original poster) »

Thank you Jim. Good to know.

#9: Post by negrocorto (original poster) »

I tried that Ascaso/Astoria group head portafilter gasket, and it is not a good fit. It does fit the group head, but it is too thin, and the portafilter rotates too much when engaged, and stops at about four o' clock, instead of the usual six o' clock. I guess it might work in a pinch, but I didn't run a shot through it because my Prestina is partially disassembled at the moment. Fortunately, I managed to talk to someone at Allan Bros, and they are sending me some original gaskets.