Gravity Fed La Pavoni - Just an idea - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC » Apr 05, 2012, 8:11 pm

Wow!

Worth the work?

KurtAugust

#12: Post by KurtAugust » Apr 06, 2012, 4:56 am

What work? Here a full view of the ugly beast.

LMWDP #325

TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC » Apr 06, 2012, 7:02 am

It looks like Art Neuvuex! :D

My French is horrid, but I look at this picture and think:

C'est ne pas un Pavoni :)

Whale

#14: Post by Whale » Apr 06, 2012, 8:55 am

Anyone can say what they will but to me it is now proven that the Europiccola looks good even upside down!
I am glad that you went ahead and gave it a try... I was thinking about it and was just too lazy to do it. :oops:

The only issue, that I can see, with the orientation that could not be easily fixed is the elements. You would have to fill in the boiler every shot or 2 just to keep the element immersed?
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

allon

#15: Post by allon » Apr 06, 2012, 9:36 am

What you need is an element that screws into the original full cap port...
LMWDP #331

Chert
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Chert » Apr 06, 2012, 12:59 pm

My version of the gravity fed la pavoni was to mount an open "boiler extender" using the threads of the cap with the dipper tube removed or rotated 90 degrees. I sent an email to Barb and Doug months and months ago about the idea and how to get a threaded tank or used Pavoni boiler with connection tube. I did not know what I would have done about the pressure release valve and whether it would leak. That's where that idea ended.

Kurt,

As regards the title of this post - You have made it. It is no longer "Just an idea."

Good one and congratulations!

KurtAugust

#17: Post by KurtAugust » Apr 06, 2012, 4:44 pm

One problem I don't see being solved is that the water inlet is very small for a non-pressurized preinfusion.
If I find a small heating element people use in chemistry classes I'll reinstall the freak.

On that leaking:
Isn't there a cap nut that would fit the pressure valve thread?
LMWDP #325

pacificmanitou

#18: Post by pacificmanitou » Apr 07, 2012, 5:24 am

Ive considered something like this before, but I never planned to use the pavoni boiler in any of my designs, just some generic type of kettle with a tap leading to the pavoni group mounted much lower. I dunno, seems to me that it would be easier to build a boiler than try to modify one made for a particular orientation.
LMWDP #366

KurtAugust

#19: Post by KurtAugust » Apr 10, 2012, 3:26 pm

To continue the cheap ass experiment, I was thinking to pick up something like these:

Dutch: Dompelaar
German: Tauchsieder

What do you people recommend? 300W - 1000W? With 300W, you could add some cheap diimer for control. Just an idea, of course. Who needs pid and god knows what's out there. Glue-on flat elements with buit-in thermostats, any good stuff I don't know about?
LMWDP #325

KurtAugust

#20: Post by KurtAugust » Nov 05, 2012, 4:38 pm

Francesco Ceccarelli donated some beaten up parts to make a permanent version of this. Thank you!
Except for the group piston, I have everything lined up.

Right now, I'm thinking of an elegant way to plug the holes in the top of the boiler. I mean bottom. Of course, these are not standard metric threads and the hardwares stores only want to order a big box of special nuts. I don't think so...

Any suggestions for a cheap ass leverist? Ideally, the budget is nearly 0.
LMWDP #325