Going single spring on the LSM lever group - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by FotonDrv »

mathof wrote:I've had my Gen 2 Londinium for nearly two years. There have been zero problems with switches and valves.

Matt
Did you plumb-in your machine to make it silent?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mathof

#22: Post by mathof replying to FotonDrv »

No. I use Volvic mineral water and put up with the infrequent sound of the pump topping-up the boiler. Infrequent, because i only pull three coffees a day.

Matt

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by FotonDrv »

I understand :D Thanks.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#24: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Playing with this more today on my only day off, I'm noticing all the positive attributes I mentioned previously, but there's a drop off in the mouthfeel. It's a subjective thing I suppose. But I'd rather have the impressive flavor separation that I'm noticing now vs heavier bodied shots.

I pulled a few shots with some Yemen samples that Mokhtar Alkhanshali gave me last week and was really impressed by the bevy of flavors that emerged. Sweet banana and lots of baking spices and sweet notes, a bit of tobacco (in a clean way). I was also fortunate enough to get some of his greens to roast. The shots really open up beautifully as they cool too.

But the mouthfeel definitely suffers without the whack of the dual springs.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

With 8 bar plus you should be getting a nice mouthfeel in your shots. Comparing my Bosco shots with the Speedster & my old dual spring Strega a nice thick mouthfeel is not an issue.
LMWDP 267

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#26: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Could be the coffee I got from Mohktar. I know it's weeks to a month old. But even a light roasted espresso blend from Ritual was thin on body.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Alexleva

#27: Post by Alexleva »

Hi,
I am Dirk from cologne, germany. I owned the Alex Leva 3 Month ago.
After reading " going on one spring" I dicided to modify my machine.

I tried one spring modification a couple of weeks.Taste had a rich flavour, but i missed a bit of the full body, that was before on double spring. My measurment shows 8,5 bars.

The double spring construction is very strong and is able to press the coffee to 11 bars.
I dicided to change the smaller original spring to the less harder spring of Febrotec.de

http://www.febrotec.de/content.php?lang ... tails=7886

Only one spring works quite well. But for me italien roasts work better with a bit more compression power. I prefer medium roasts, 30-40% Robusta.

Hope you understand my bad english.

Best greetings
Dirk

mfortin

#28: Post by mfortin replying to Alexleva »

What is your pressure measurement now with the febrotec spring? Do you get better flavor taste with mouthfeel so as to compare to the original dual spring?

FilipG

#29: Post by FilipG »

Hey, Tom, a couple of somewhat related questions:

Is the boiler made of SS?
Are the Portafilters made of SS as well?
How long You owe this machine? Do You think/know that they changed sth in the latest release?

redbone

#30: Post by redbone »

Alexleva wrote:Hi,
I am Dirk from cologne, germany. I owned the Alex Leva 3 Month ago.
After reading " going on one spring" I dicided to modify my machine.

I tried one spring modification a couple of weeks.Taste had a rich flavour, but i missed a bit of the full body, that was before on double spring. My measurment shows 8,5 bars.

The double spring construction is very strong and is able to press the coffee to 11 bars.
I dicided to change the smaller original spring to the less harder spring of Febrotec.de

http://www.febrotec.de/content.php?lang ... tails=7886

Only one spring works quite well. But for me italien roasts work better with a bit more compression power. I prefer medium roasts, 30-40% Robusta.

Hope you understand my bad english.

Best greetings
Dirk
I understand all you wrote. What I don't get is the last part where you stated, " I prefer medium roasts, 30-40% Robusta" :shock:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549