Going single spring on the LSM lever group - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

Not true, you can get the optional steam cup heater on a one group Bosco. Can't imagine why you would need it with a ventilated cover sitting over a 6 liter boiler but it's available. Doesn't the Leva use a Duetto case? Any room to work in there with a 5 liter boiler crammed in?

What's the peak spring pressure after removing the second spring?
LMWDP 267

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC (original poster) »

JohnB wrote:. Doesn't the Leva use a Duetto case? Any room to work in there with a 5 liter boiler crammed in?

What's the peak spring pressure after removing the second spring?
It's not as spacious as the Bosco, but I wouldn't want it taking up as much space as one. There's plenty of room to work around inside, however. It's a bigger case than the v2 Duetto I used to have.

And the spring rates I mentioned in the first post as well as when you asked me yesterday :wink:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

arcus
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by arcus »

TomC wrote:It doesn't fry switches like the Londinium
Londinium had some switch issues when they first sent machines to NA a few years ago but, as far as I'm aware, that deficiency was resolved long ago so that comment is misleading.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to arcus »

Depends on who you talk to.

arcus
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by arcus replying to TomC »

Well, I'm one of the ones that had his switch replaced so I do have some knowledge of this problem and I haven't read anything about Gen 1 switch problems for over a year now. I also have never read anything about a Gen 2 machine having this problem. Have you evidence of a Gen 2 having this issue?

puffinjk

#16: Post by puffinjk »

Great job Tom,And as usual a very informative write up, Did you notice any improvement in shower screen performance (more gentle). I also had some portifilter creep with my pompeii so I scribed some lines on the ears to created a little more friction which did the trick. I may give the single spring mod a try. Jim

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to puffinjk »

Slightly more gentle flow, but I've always eased the lever off slowly since I only have one large infusion port, it's prone to gush pretty badly compared to other levers that have more, smaller ones. I may just pop in the OEM screen for a bit. I really can't tell any improvement with the IMS one (they couldn't either, which is why I think they decided not to offer them commercially).

I also went back and put my homemade portafilter pressure gauge on again today. Making sure that the flow was at zero out of the needle valve right at the beginning, then opening it up quickly to the approximate (very rough guessing in something homemade) flow that one would normally see during a regular extraction, I was able to observe a consistent pressure of 8.5 bar. Previously, I was just racking the lever and letting it off, with the valve partially open from the very beginning, which I don't think quite matches that brief, higher resistance the puck imposes on the water flow.

puffinjk

#18: Post by puffinjk »

That 8.5 sounds very good,I am sure my wife would use my machine if it wasn't such a bear to pull. JK

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to puffinjk »

Funny you say, because I just had my girlfriend do the same thing, since it was so much easier now.

mathof

#20: Post by mathof »

arcus wrote:Well, I'm one of the ones that had his switch replaced so I do have some knowledge of this problem and I haven't read anything about Gen 1 switch problems for over a year now. I also have never read anything about a Gen 2 machine having this problem. Have you evidence of a Gen 2 having this issue?
I've had my Gen 2 Londinium for nearly two years. There have been zero problems with switches and valves.

Matt