Getting the best from the Strietman CT2 - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Raja
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Raja »

Ive started to dial in the Luna Bermudez beans. Long pre infusions seem to give a muddier cup if the grind is fine enough to peak at 6 bars of pressure after the infusion period. If the grind is left coarse, and the pre infusion is circa 20-30 seconds long, 3 bars of pressure is around the peak and the resulting espresso comes out like a filter brew (which is actually quite enjoyable, heh).

I'm currently toying with a variation of Joe D's extractamundo profile: a quick ramp to 7 bars, then a bloom period lasting 5 seconds, followed by a quick ramp and pull to desired volume. I'm still adjusting ratio to see what I can get from it.

JonathanMichael (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Hey, good feedback. I have experienced similar results although I have no idea what pressures I hit.

You should try a small dose of around 13.5g of the Luna in the small basket and pull the shot on the quicker side.

Raja
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Raja »

Yeah, I'm currently pulling this as a turbo shot with 14g in the basket. Will play around a bit with dose.

Raja
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Raja »

The info in this post helped me out quite a bit for light roasts. Just pulled the best shot I've had so far on the CT2:

User Experience with the Strietman CT2

To get shot times that long, I realized I'd need to grind even finer than the range I was using before and had deemed muddy. After reading the post linked above, I decided to go 35um finer, and the shots carried intensity without the muddiness I was getting 20um higher. In any case, it's a 15s-25s-40s pull (1m25s total), peaking around 6 bars at the start of the 45 second phase. The actual flow rate is a steady trickle, with the pressure declining accordingly. Im probably down to 3-4 bars for most of the shot. Super clean, bright acidity and fruit flavor, with a lingering finish. Exceptional...

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Wow I need to give it a try. I haven't tried anything nearly that long. Typically the SLM burrs in the MAX extract pretty quickly but it's definitely worth a shot.

What burrs are you using?

Thanks for the feedback. How was the Luna?

Raja
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Raja »

I'm using a Bentwood V63. It has unimodal 63mm flat burrs. Probably doesn't extract quite as quickly as what you have there. That said, slow and long pulls arent usually associated with ultra-high extraction rates, so it usually balances out.

The Luna is interesting as both espresso and filter. Worth a shot if you like illegal light roasts, heh.

Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Oh yeah, you already mentioned the Bentwood. Sorry! I love the grind adjustment on that machine!

Raja
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Raja »

No worries. Yeah, it's super easy to change between filter and espresso ranges.

Just pulled another great espresso shot with the Luna. Hit all three of the tasting notes.

jley08

#19: Post by jley08 »

At what micron setting are you on the bentwood?

Also are you using 16g doses in 18g basket? With extractamundo profile?

Raja
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Raja »

Right now, I'm using 16g in the 18g basket, for a three-phase 15/25/45-second pull. Grind range is 95 to 110 um from burr touch, depending on whether I want to play with a sharper decline from 6 bar.

For extractamundo, grind range was 125 um from burr touch, using a 13.5g dose in the 15g basket. I didn't try extractamundo with the 18g basket - no particular reason for that other than moving onto the longer shot style.