Gaskets for Zacconi Riviera - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kalo925

#81: Post by kalo925 »

nir dvorai. Wanted to mention one more thing. Do you know if your boiler is brass or copper? I didn't realize mine was solid copper until recently. If yours is brass or whatever, you might be cautious about that bolt plugging the fill opening. Would be best to use the same material as your boiler is made of to minimize galvanic corrosion. Search HB for some threads about it. (also wonder then about those corroded fittings, were they brass or iron?) Also just noticed your base and mine are quite a bit different. Mine is cast pot metal likely (chrome plated and then copper plated) and about double the thickness of yours, which looks more like pressed steel (which would cool more rapidly). Also I saw my machine has two layers of black gasket material between the boiler and base where you put your cool tape. What ever that gasket material is on mine, it sure doesn't help. :) The "cool tape" would be better I'd have to imagine! I did think more about that cool tape and began to wonder if It might be better as a single layer on the base, with an air gap, rather than on the boiler, as it's main design it to reduce radiant heat with it's reflective surface, on objects needing to stay cooler. If it was too thick, and touching both the base and boiler, it makes me think it would just be more like an insulator trying to reduce convective heat. Anyway hard to stop thinking about these things. My milk frothing today was best yet and latte art progressing just a little. Learning new things every day. Cheers..

Also, could you put a gasket around the entire bottom of your boiler possibly? We see some other machines with something like that.. Something like in this link just for example. Might get a little flexing though unless it was a very solid rubber..

https://milehidistilling.com/product/4- ... ne-gasket/

This one says hard plastic ptfe gasket. Interesting.

https://milehidistilling.com/product/4- ... on-gasket/

Now it also makes sense why these old ones with no separation between boiler and base seem to be more "solid" with little/no flexing.

nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

The boiler is brass and I plug it with stainless steel bolt and Loxeal sealant. The base is definitely not cast pot, it might be stainless steel or pressed steel, it is very light and seems strong as it holds the heavy boiler and grouphead.
There are Zacconi models where you can put a round gasket under the boiler, I know that because La Machinne sent me this kind of gasket but it doesn't fit my boiler.

I lowered the pressure little bit to 0.8. 1bar seems to hot for the small grouphead and I don't like very hot espresso. I just wish I had the original PF because I like the 2 spout design and also the naked PF sits very high from the cup. I also want to the Zacconi PF handle with the lines slots all across the handle (like the lever handle, the boiler cover and the steam knob).

kalo925

#83: Post by kalo925 »

nirdvorai wrote:Rescue mission is done!
Wow! Looks absolutely fabulous! I really like your choice for boiler cap with your chrome model. Nice! Yes, would be good to have original look handle for your portafilter. Didn't you buy that lever and handle? Could just order another handle? I'm hoping to find a original brass one with old style handle at some point too. Was your level/sight glass original or a replacement? I notice it's just red, not with the blue. My original was just red too. Did you resolve the portafilter gasket already? Pull any shots? You did a really great job of restoring the Riviera!

Supporter ♡

#84: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Thanks Wayne!

The sight glass is indeed new. The old one was ugly and the new one is cheap, so I prefer to replace it then clean it. I ordered the Zacconi style handle, but I ordered the wrong one.. I ordered the one with a thread bolt and apparently I needed the one without the bolt. For now I didn't find one like this in the US. So I will wait until I have anther big order from Italy and will include this one as well.

The gasket is OK. I had a little fight with it and a few bloody fingers, but now it's in place. As I mentioned, I can only use the thin La Peppina double basket.

I put on the machine after my last cup of espresso for the day, so no espresso testing today. I hope to make espresso in the coming week.

kalo925

#85: Post by kalo925 »

nirdvorai wrote:The sight glass is indeed new....... I put on the machine after my last cup of espresso for the day, so no espresso testing today. I hope to make espresso in the coming week.
Which sight glass were you able to order? Originally I ordered three Pontevecchio Export level glass Cod. T9698, but he said it was wrong for my machine and he changed them to the Zacconi level glass Cod. 8. So just to verify can you tell me if you got the PV T9698 level glass? is that right? I'd like to eventually use the just the red one rather than the red and blue combo.

Understand about limited amounts of espresso warranted. I want to drink them and not waste any, so 3 or 4 a day for learning right now is my limit.

drgary
Team HB

#86: Post by drgary »

Congratulations, Nir, on completing your restoration! I may have the portafilter you want and have sent you a PM. Here are some photos. There are some wear marks, but they aren't extreme.

Added: Nir and I took measurements. The portafilter he needs is smaller than the one I have.

Here are the measurements for mine: The width of the outside of the tabs is 63mm. The depth of each tab at its widest point is 6mm. It tapers to 4 mm. The length of each tab is 12mm. The filter basket is 56mm to the edge of the rim. The filter basket has a very flat top rim. The inner diameter of the portafilter is 46mm. The outer diameter of the portafilter is 52mm when not measured at the tabs.

Some measurements for his are: The width with the tabs is 60mm. 54mm outer diameter without the basket. The length of the tabs is 17mm. He tells me his tabs aren't tapered and are 6mm deep. I don't think the taper matters for overall fit. It's a feature that allows easier locking in but might adversely affect wear.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Supporter ♡

#87: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Thanks Dr. Gary! PM sent.

Wayne- sorry but I was confused. I'm working on other machines and order parts for them as well. The Zacconi sight glass is the one I got with the machine, and it's red.

kalo925

#88: Post by kalo925 »

nirdvorai wrote:Wayne- sorry but I was confused. I'm working on other machines and order parts for them as well. The Zacconi sight glass is the one I got with the machine, and it's red.
Okay, no problem.. That makes sense now. That red PV one must be slightly different size. I got some single dose filters today, so will be playing with those the next few days. I think I might like the smaller dose. Given that this machine has small fluid volume, a 7.5 dose with a ~15ml shot might work well. Then if I add foamed milk I won't need to add as much either. I do love the cap/latte, but my waist is seeing the added calories I think! :lol:

kalo925

#89: Post by kalo925 »

Single baskets are doing pretty well today. This was 7.2 gm dose, 2.3.5 Grind - 1Zpresso JX-P, 78 Surface temp, 14.6 out, ~1 bar. Looks as good as they get right now for me. 8)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1BZNwu25BQL8TCTd9

Supporter ♡

#90: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

I'm glad the single basket works for you!
I'm having the same yield as you found, about 1:1 shot. 14g ground coffee gives about 16gram shot at 1bar (I took it back up).

Did you try "fellini"? I tried once, and it was my best shot. 14g ground coffee and 30g shot.

All in all I think it will be a presentation machine and maybe will be at use when I have family come over, and prefer latte style drinks.