Gaskets for Zacconi Riviera - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kalo925

#61: Post by kalo925 »

nirdvorai wrote:Dr. Gary meant the manual machine i.e not with spring. I think the model name is Zacconi Baby

You and I have the spring version as opposed to manual lever without the spring.
Ohh. Well it is possible the base of that one has some different connection.. Sorry, but its basic heat transfer that is causing our bases to be hot. Unless you seriously change the design where the base and boiler meet, it's IMPOSSIBLE that this base won't be very close to the temperature of the bottom of the boiler.. Of course as you move away from the boiler the temperature will be a little less from losses do to radiation from the metal to the air. The metal is connected directly at these points..

drgary
Team HB

#62: Post by drgary »

Probably similar. But mine didn't have a spring. Here's the thread on that restoration.

A Baby Lusso Needs Restoration
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
kalo925

#63: Post by kalo925 »

I see on the bottom of the current production Baby and Riviera there is a different connection at the bottom. Not going to research in detail, but there is a considerable difference I'm guessing.

Edit: Can see a drawing here of the old style connections at the boiler to base and new style connections.

userpix/5203_ecopy2lit_exchange_01142009-133153.jpg

http://www.zacconi.net/it/componenti_riviera.pdf

drgary
Team HB

#64: Post by drgary »

If you can get a parts diagram it will show you where gaskets are needed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

kalo925

#65: Post by kalo925 »

drgary wrote:If you can get a parts diagram it will show you where gadkets are needed.
The previous post has links to parts diagrams. There you can see early models and later models have completely different connections at the boilers to the base. I assume that your Baby is a later model since the base didn't get hot? :?: 8)

drgary
Team HB

#66: Post by drgary »

Sorry. Missed that. Looking at your parts diagrams, I think the first one you posted shows two gaskets, parts 53 and 21, and the second shows one, which is part 23. From the first page of this post it looks like Lamacchinadelcaffe.com is a good source, and they're a Zacconi dealer. At least the boiler gasket 53 appears on this page. Their part 21 is different, though. It's hard to read the number hand written into the diagram.

BTW my Zacconi Baby was an old model.
Gary
LMWDP#308

nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#67: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Found the culprit! The water inlet fitting on the boiler was rusted and broken. I think most of the issues with the Riviera is related to the water inlet. Probably one of the worst unused future in home lever espresso.

I'm thinking of 2 or 3 options:
1. drill out the fitting, tap and plug with a bolt. So far I drill and tap, I will go to the store to buy a bolt to see if my tapping was done well.
or:
2. cold weld using JB Water Weld.
3. Take it to a pro for brazing.

Advertisement
kalo925

#68: Post by kalo925 »

drgary wrote:
BTW my Zacconi Baby was an old model.
I'm not sure I've seen parts diagram for older baby machines. It's funny of all the parts diagrams I've seen, have never seen a list of those parts included. Does your baby have a gasket above the base like this one? Some some of separation/insulation at least.

kalo925

#69: Post by kalo925 »

nirdvorai wrote:Found the culprit! The water inlet fitting on the boiler was rusted and broken. I think most of the issues with the Riviera is related to the water inlet. Probably one of the worst unused future in home lever espresso.

I'm thinking of 2 or 3 options:
1. drill out the fitting, tap and plug with a bolt. So far I drill and tap, I will go to the store to buy a bolt to see if my tapping was done well.
or:
2. cold weld using JB Water Weld.
3. Take it to a pro for brazing.

This guy had the same problem with the other pressurestat inlet fitting breaking off. First post on this page talks about repair. But if you've already drilled and tapped you are good to go I think.

La Riviera Refurb

Yesterday I was thinking when you said you had a leak just to tell you to cap it there, but I didn't know your fitting was in such bad shape and then broke right off. So yes, either a bolt to plug or put a fitting back with a cap. Good luck. Keep us updated. :)

drgary
Team HB

#70: Post by drgary »

kalo925 wrote:Does your baby have a gasket above the base like this one? Some some of separation/insulation at least.
I sold it pretty soon after restoring it. I didn't like the tiny group capacity, the limited lever travel, the small drip tray or the flex if I pulled a shot with any substantial pressure. I liked the look of it and the swiveling steam arm.
Gary
LMWDP#308