nirdvorai wrote:nice video Wayne!
IMHO your grinding is bit to coarse or your tamping is bit to loose. Normally you want 10 sec. of pre infusion and maybe in the last 9,10 sec. get a small drips of coffee. In the video, the pre infusion looks almost like the extraction.
Thanks! Yes I totally agree, would like and have tried a finer grind but apparently the spring is just not strong enough. Yesterday I began thinking I need to put that stronger spring back in. Now I can't remember why I took it out again! It might have been just a terrible tasting shot, wrongly attributed to the stronger spring... I need to keep notes! Ahhh back to edit this before posting. I remember why I took that spring out. Look up a few posts when I put it in and you'll see with that new stronger spring, inlet to the cylinder was mostly covered by the piston. I thought I noticed reduced flow when purging so investigated at that is what I saw. There may be a way to use that new spring or dual spring I suppose even if the inlet hole is partially covered or devise a way to ensure the piston (with new spring) stays up higher like the with old spring. One would think if the system was tight with close tolerances, the piston would be in the exact same position, but I suppose the strong spring just pushed every possible place that's a bit loose in fit to extend down into the cylinder more. I was thinking on the very top of the cylinder where the pivot sleeve rides/rolls/pivots on the upward protruding knob one could build that up a millimeter or two with some sort of cladding. That would also pull the new spring/piston up the same distance. On the other hand, and I guess the reason I switched back if if I can get a decent tasting shot, what am I going for with a lot of adjustments/changes?
nirdvorai wrote:Why the lever "skipping" up and not going smoothly? lack of grease? or maybe the gaskets not fit well?
I guess I was just thinking the spring is not strong enough, but there might be more too it. But like you mentioned above, to try and use finer grinds, if I do the spring just basically stops pushing and it will be a very long time between these "skips" and may not even move at all. It might be a lube problem though, this morning before pulling two shots I used a qtip to put some more Dow 111 on the piston and pivot sleeve best I could. It might have helped a little. I did pull two shots both with ever so slightly finer grounds and the both of the shots looked thicker. The first was similar timing, but the second was very slow comparatively. On the second I think I let it go almost 30 seconds for pre-infusion. To me it's nice to see the whole bottom of the filter almost covered with liquid prior to starting the shot. Not sure that is good or warranted, but it seems good to my mind. This can all be complicated to describe well and maybe to understand what I'm writing!
On the skipping lever, was also thinking about the gaskets I used were the slightly larger ones at 24/40mm. The piston gaskets on this website below (Whom I did contact, but decided to go with order from the other place as could get more completely what I needed with one order/shipping) for the old La Riviera were 25/39mm. My gut feeling on the bigger gaskets though was that it's not a factor at all. I really don't think they are causing the skipping, but can't be 100%. Probably is shaft lube and/or spring problem.
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... acconi.htm
nirdvorai wrote:your machine looks great, and the steam seems strong. You just need the dome and the eagle (and grit) to make it a whole.
Would like an original portafilter and the dome would be very nice too. The machine as it sits now does slide under my kitchen cabinet though! You can see my kitchen is still a very old style. Have a plan for retrofit, but you know how that goes! There is another counter space that doesn't have cabinets right now, but no electrical outlets there (old house again), so the current place is better without an extension cord. I did remove my drip coffee maker to the back room yesterday..
nirdvorai wrote:I have some progress. I found a metal fabricator near me (a very cool racing driver guy that builds his own cars) and he tinker with the heating element which was way off centre. It looks kind of defect installation of the coil into the base. Also the probs seems bit longer. I hope they will not touch the base..
I think there was another post somewhere about a heating element not fitting. I've seem so many pages, but will try to find it. Can't remember how they resolved that one. Post some photos if you have them of the problem. We might have ideas and it could help others too. Best of luck!