Gas Fired La Pavoni Professional

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
SAS
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by SAS »

I recently aquired a funky 1995 La Pavoni Professional. On my last camping trip I envisioned a gas fired version to be heated by the Coleman stove. I want to try to convert mine to stovetop using an old base with a burned out heating element.

I will remove the element and plug the holes left including the p-stat hole. I'll fabricate a wide flat base and set the whole thing on my gas fired Coleman stove.

I don't want to wreck the base I have that works I also don't want to try and turn the correct threads on a fresh piece of bronze.

Shoot me an email or PM if you have a burned out heating element base you can part with. I would prefer a bronze one and not the stainless if possible but beggers can't be choosers.

Moshe
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

2StrokeBloke

#2: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

This sounds like a great project for the car or trailer camper. Those backpacking would be better served by the Rossa and Rosco.

I envision a bit of temperature control issue (getting the grouphead/portafilter to temp might be difficult depending on outside conditions) but if you are paying close attention to it as you heat up, I can't see why this wouldn't work. Especially if you are just making espresso!

Please keep us updated with photos as you go along!

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
finbad

#3: Post by finbad »

Nice idea! I ponder making a mini propane fired espresso machine (perhaps based on a faema velox style group) now and again. Using one of those coleman stoves is a nice idea, though I'd agree with 2 stroke bloke that temperature control will require some thought.

As for temperature, it might be possible to use a lumped mass/block of lead which sits over an open boiler fitting in the style of the boiler pressure relief valve of old propane fired machines - when the boiler pressure rises above your set-point the mass should lift off the boiler fitting and allow steam to escape, relieving the pressure and giving you the hint to turn down the stove slightly. Another alternative to this might be an adjustable spring loaded OPV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOuGZny-pkY

SAS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by SAS (original poster) »

I think the pressure gauge will let me know when I reach the correct temperature zone.

I'll have to play with the flame and slide the whole boiler off the flame at times I imagine.

First I just need a bottom.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Chert
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Chert »

Moshe

I wonder if this might have the part you are looking for: La Cara for parts

Flint
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe » replying to Chert »

I've got a La Cara and the boiler is upside down compared to the La Pavoni, the elements load from the top and the bottom is solid. Won't serve your purposes, but could use it for your experiment Looks like the smaller one, an 8 cup. Some early La Pavoni portafilters will fit.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Nomadic_Lemon

#7: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

So SAS, did you manage to find a suitable base? I'm curious how far you've got with the project? Sounds like a really interesting project!

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
SAS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by SAS (original poster) »

I've stalled out on this project as I got involved with a cute Quest M3 roaster and she is taking all my spare time.
Road trip/camping season is a way off still. I did locate a burned out heating element that I will use. But I haven't figured out how to deal with sealing the base to the tank without a flame sensitive material.

Any suggestions?!
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

alex121

#9: Post by alex121 »

]Das, wondering how your project turned out and thought these pics might help. I've had this La Pavoni running on gas for a couple of years. What you were planning on doing is pretty much what I did to convert to gas.

alex121

SAS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by SAS (original poster) »

I love the look! Who needs 120V?
That burner is also a great part of your project.
What did you do to attach the tank to the plate?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.