Gaggia Spring Lever project - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman

#31: Post by IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 9:42 am

Screw that assembly back into the group and see if you can cock the lever. If you can this will loosen the group sleeve with the piston.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

EthanL

#32: Post by EthanL » replying to IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 11:35 am

No progress with the group head yet, but stripped down other parts from the frame, the boiler-to-frame screws are nasty as well as one group-to-boiler screw. Having soaked them in PB Blaster overnight, not persuading, have to try something stronger...

IamOiman

#33: Post by IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 12:07 pm

You have a very understanding partner for allowing you to plop your project on the kitchen counter! Use more heat if in doubt. For a valve on my Gaggia I needed to use a MAPP torch to loosen it properly.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

EthanL

#34: Post by EthanL » replying to IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm quite concerned recently if I have gone too far since this project and she would kick me out from our apartment :oops: Need to finish up soon before it really happens.

I'm thinking to use a butane torch I have to melt the gunk too, hope it works, fingers crossed, thanks Ryan!

EthanL

#35: Post by EthanL » Dec 04, 2019, 4:59 pm

Something interesting to me is the vertical boiler, and the element is mounted from the top. When the boiler is half way full, the element is partially immersed, and rest of it is dry burning, newer layouts would be horizontal boiler with element lying below the center, or vertical boiler with element mounted from the bottom. Not sure how long an element can last this way.

IamOiman

#36: Post by IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 7:27 pm

Vertical heating elements are designed such that the upper portion of the element will not burn out when not in water. This type of element is used on other machines like a Faema Mercurio, Victoria Arduino Supervat, the Gaggia Spagna/Classic/Esportazione 1 group (which is basically the same internally as the Mercurio), etc.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

EthanL

#37: Post by EthanL » replying to IamOiman » Dec 04, 2019, 7:38 pm

The upper portion of the element currently in my machine appears flaked and black, that's concerning, it should not be like that if it's a real vertical heating element, right? Have no experience with heating elements dedicated for vertical boilers, hope it's not too hard to find a part replacement.

EthanL

#38: Post by EthanL » Dec 05, 2019, 1:03 pm

My butane torch is just a toy for this kind of rusty thread, going to get this and some screw extractors.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bernzo ... 1000539664

mikel

#39: Post by mikel » Dec 05, 2019, 1:29 pm

EthanL wrote:going to get this and some screw extractors
Ethan, have you seen this thread?
(Specifically regarding screw extractors)
Gaggia Orione restoration

EthanL

#40: Post by EthanL » replying to mikel » Dec 05, 2019, 1:57 pm

Thanks Mike for pointing! I did go through that roughly before. So here is my plan, heat the stuck rusted bolts and screws(already snapped four bolts on the boiler flange, yes I did :cry: I hope they still have some length left above the boiler edge, not sure until I remove the flange) to red, put more PB Blaster after cooling, and try to unscrew after that.

If heat doesn't work, drilling will be my last option, I can purchase some more tools(impact bits, thread tap, etc), but I won't be able to have a drill press at home(of course :oops: ), in that case, I will go to a machine shop for that type of work.