Gaggia Spring Lever project - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
EthanL

#11: Post by EthanL » Nov 29, 2019, 9:47 pm

And first challenge comes with the one single screw on the body panel, I rushed into it, now the hex shape is almost worn and allen key just spins inside the bolt head, I should have used some PB Blaster... Need to find a way to grip the bolt even with PB Blaster spray.

EthanL

#12: Post by EthanL » Nov 29, 2019, 9:53 pm

IamOiman wrote:This is exactly why I took so many pics and went into such fine detail. I hope that thread to be useful to not just my own model's type but anything with a Gaggia lever group!
Absolutely! I would wish for a video from you or Paul Pratt about the spring compressing thing in a perfect world :D

EthanL

#13: Post by EthanL » Nov 29, 2019, 9:58 pm

Too early to say that about the group head, not too bad condition though around the shower screen.

IamOiman

#14: Post by IamOiman » Nov 29, 2019, 10:01 pm

If that is truly blue water that indicates copper corrosion/dissolving. Usually not a good thing. The internal stuff looks like it was not fully cleaned/restored. For the bent foot you will need to take off the foot itself and bend the bracket back into place. Most old feet are compatible with new SS feet seen on most machines today if you do not like that style. The wiring for the heating element looks new and it appears the original wiring is used for the pressurestat, or the seller used the original cable sleeves with new wiring. The groups can be in very good condition. Both of my groups were in similar condition, and most of the wear was on the preinfusion mechanism and the very bottom of the group. Based off the photos of the interior it may be smart to check the interior of the group to see how the seals are faring there and if they were replced or not. The bottom of your group looks better than mine did originally :lol:

I'll see what happens in the future about that spring video
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

EthanL

#15: Post by EthanL » Nov 29, 2019, 11:22 pm

Can't access the bottom of the boiler without removing the remaining panel screw, but I assume the box below contains the pressurestat, that's the only place could hide it.

EthanL

#16: Post by EthanL » Nov 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

IamOiman wrote:If that is truly blue water that indicates copper corrosion/dissolving. Usually not a good thing. The internal stuff looks like it was not fully cleaned/restored.
Agreed, the seller didn't include any picture of the internal in the listing for some reason, maybe just restored the outside for a quick flip. Then possibly he didn't really replace the gaskets though he claimed so.

Hi Ryan, I found nobody sells the 2-hole shower screen, checked espressoparts, coffeeparts and nuova ricambi, where did you get that for your Tell? I may have to replace all the rusty parts along the water path to avoid the dissolved copper corrosion...

LObin

#17: Post by LObin » Nov 30, 2019, 12:42 am

That's the pstat. A Sirai 30A should be the proper replacement. Easier than going through the trouble of fixing an old mercury switch... Just ask Ryan!

I'm thinking the bluish color could also be from a bad attempt at descaling the boiler. It could be one possible explanation.
LMWDP #592

drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary » Nov 30, 2019, 2:57 pm

EthanL wrote:Just got this yesterday, from the evil bay....I have tried to plug it in, didn't get it fired up. The seller said it has been fully restored, I didn't know he only meant the outside...The inside, hmm, a lot of work to do I have to say. I plumbed it with water mains and filled half of the boiler before I plugged it in, some tiny leakings on the fittings.... Thanks for any inputs!
If the seller listed it as "fully restored" and it isn't, eBay has buyer protection, and you should at least get money back. It looks like that machine needs full disassembly, cleaning all parts, resolution of rust, replacement of seals and possibly wiring, etc. It looks like it's worth restoring, though.

This should be completely clean with new seals in a fully restored machine.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

EthanL

#19: Post by EthanL » Nov 30, 2019, 10:29 pm

drgary wrote:If the seller listed it as "fully restored" and it isn't, eBay has buyer protection, and you should at least get money back. It looks like that machine needs full disassembly, cleaning all parts, resolution of rust, replacement of seals and possibly wiring, etc. It looks like it's worth restoring, though.

This should be completely clean with new seals in a fully restored machine.
Thanks Gary, that picture is actually Ryan's Tell(before restoration), mine is in the posting before that, slightly better, but definitely needs a full tear down. I guess I got what I paid for, the seller may have charged way more if this is a real refurbished Gaggia leva machine, he only listed it as used, but claimed it has been restored during communication. The real condition of the machine is acceptable, the restoration seems within my capability and accessibility, I'm excited to try the espresso from a commercial spring lever :D

EthanL

#20: Post by EthanL » Nov 30, 2019, 10:33 pm

LObin wrote:That's the pstat. A Sirai 30A should be the proper replacement. Easier than going through the trouble of fixing an old mercury switch... Just ask Ryan!

I'm thinking the bluish color could also be from a bad attempt at descaling the boiler. It could be one possible explanation.

What if the mercury switch still works 8) We never know haha