Gaggia Orione group maintenance

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Hello,
I've recently noted that there is a hiss of steam coming through my grouphead. It started when the boiler hit its highest temp, but is now present continuously. It stops when I start pulling the lever so I suspect it is in need of new piston gaskets (I've used it daily for over a year so it's due for maintenance. I have never pulled the spring / piston so was hoping to get some advice.

There looks to be a set screw (hex screw)

I'm assuming I loosen this then unscrew the large group nut

I was planning on measuring the exposed threads so that I can get it back to a similar position.

Does this sound correct? Any tips?

Thanks

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

yes, undoing that grub/set screw will allow you to unscrew the 80mm nut. You can try to get back to the original position but the goal of the big nut is to compress the gasket stack and create the seal between the gaskets and piston. Therefore there is a possibility the height of the nut may slightly vary with new gaskets.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#3: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

Thanks the response Ryan,

Is there a trick to know when you've compressed the gasket stack correctly? Do you get it to where you think it is close, then heat the machine to see if there are any leaks around the gaskets?

Also, do you loosen the grub screw on the big nut, or leave it alone?

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

the two screws on the big nut are for holding the upper group housing secure.

Generally the stack is tight enough when the nut is tightened a little beyond hand tight with the nut. If it leaks or hisses after it can be tinkered with.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

IamOiman
Team HB

#5: Post by IamOiman »

Also, I found the phone number of my Gaggia guy and got in contact with him after nearly two years and asked if he had any spare parts for the group. I remembered you had an issue with the preinfusion mechanism and that was one of the parts I asked about. He should get back to me soon :D
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

#6: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

Thanks! I've been looking for parts for the group since for the past year plus!

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt »

The middle nut looks a little high, I would try and screw that down a turn or two and that will compress the gaskets making a better seal. A year seal life is not very long IMHO.

To know how much compression you need well it is trial and error. But it seems like water is leaking past your top seals. Just compress them some more.

I aim to get it all set up, so that the piston position is just flush with the end of the sleeve. Or if you use an E61 screen just up to the screen. Changing to an E61 style screen is the best upgrade for the gaggia groups.

#8: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:The middle nut looks a little high, I would try and screw that down a turn or two and that will compress the gaskets making a better seal. A year seal life is not very long IMHO.

To know how much compression you need well it is trial and error. But it seems like water is leaking past your top seals. Just compress them some more.

I aim to get it all set up, so that the piston position is just flush with the end of the sleeve. Or if you use an E61 screen just up to the screen. Changing to an E61 style screen is the best upgrade for the gaggia groups.
Thanks for the responses - So if I loosen the grub screw on the middle nut, that will allow me to tighten the nut without changing the orientation of the lever housing? I think I just need to take it apart so I can better understand the mechanics of it all!

How long should I expect the seals to be good for and how often would you recommend pulling the piston to lubricate the seals?

Paul_Pratt

#9: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Jasper_8137 wrote:Thanks for the responses - So if I loosen the grub screw on the middle nut, that will allow me to tighten the nut without changing the orientation of the lever housing? I think I just need to take it apart so I can better understand the mechanics of it all!
Yes loosen the grub screw and the middle and top can rotate. Clockwise to compress the seals. If the top section is off centre after that tighten the same grub screw and then do an adjustment to the top (after having loosed their grub screws)
How long should I expect the seals to be good for and how often would you recommend pulling the piston to lubricate the seals?
Several years I would have thought. No need to lubricate.

IamOiman
Team HB

#10: Post by IamOiman »

I've talked with Russell Kerr/Doctor Espresso about this. In a commercial environment he does it every 6-12 months for the seals on his commercially used Gaggia machines. But in a home environment I would agree with Paul. I've not needed to replace my Gaggia LL seals yet, nor need to lube them. Of course the more the machine is used the faster the seals wear out so I think that should make sense.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612