Gaggia Orione gasket stack

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cafebmw

#1: Post by cafebmw »

i use only v-gaskets (orphanespresso, espresso parts) and v-brass shims as made by deluxe in los angeles. i think they sell a set for $80. if you have access to a lathe you could fabricate them yourself. the brass shims have a v x-section and function as a support for the v-gaskets. i guess you could use the v-gaskets even without those brass shims.
here is a schematic of the geometry (i haven't completed the sketch yet):
the brass shims/rings are yellow, the v-gaskets grey, the water channel (holes in piston, brass ring and cylinder) dark grey:
adjustment options:
grouphead top (containing lever mechanism);
top hat nut (G.42);
lever lock/catch springs (G.44, G.45).

the lever has to be in right position on the toothed shaft G.49! if nothing seem to work, move the lever by one tooth.
adjustment of the piston height ( in relation to gasket stack) is done via by screwing in (lower) or out (higher) the lever mechanism unit (grouphead top). when the lever is being pulled down, the catch should set at exactly the same moment when the piston hole is aligned with the lower edge of the center brass ring (water flows from cylinder into piston resp. coffee ground chamber).
after preinfusion the lever is pulled down completely and the catch should be pushed into the off position by the springs G.44/45. slight adjustment of the stroke is possible via the top hat nut. piston screen (piston in down position) is slightly proud off pf gasket, but not touching the coffee ground bed.
the lever lock/catch can be slightly moved (1mm) or carefully bent.
the gasket set is compressed only relatively slightly by the adjustment ring below the grouphead top.

that entire set of v-gasket and brass shims gets rid of fiber gaskets etc. it's a proven design and i run my home machine with it for more than a year (average 6 espressos/day).
on the first pic the stack starts on the bottom right (bottom to top).

Paul_Pratt

#2: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Thanks very much for detailing this. I have one of the original V brass shims so I can copy that. I think these shims are essential for spreading the gasket.

What really needs to be done, is for someone to have solid seals made where only the inside edge has a wiper, thereby eliminating the need for these V shims. I have yet to find a custom seal maker, well I have found sealtech HK but never used them.

Paul

cafebmw

#3: Post by cafebmw »

hi paul,
i think the seals work pretty well the way they are designed. you could try it without the brass v-shims. i think that would work too.

doctorespresso

#4: Post by doctorespresso »

This is the best if not only way to build the stack... I have lots of lever gaggia working in a commercial enviroment and this is how I stack the group. Also it makes it really easy to service.

If you have the V rings made from viton rubber.. super happy days . Nearly lasts for ever if the pistons have no scores.

Russ

Doctor Espresso

KnowGood

#5: Post by KnowGood »

The biggest brass piece that goes on top - is that custom as well? Looks to be smaller than mine.

I also have 5mm and 7.5mm bang on for my v ring, and 35.8mm for the bigger top brass insert.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Seacoffee

#6: Post by Seacoffee »

On the group on my internazionale has the top ring at 30mm and the bottom at 11mm. I have two v rings which are both 5mm.

KnowGood

#7: Post by KnowGood »

So, I've been thinking with the rebuild of my two group that I'm going to try this method out, only instead of copying the brass v ring spreader exactly, I'm going to make it a bit higher in height eliminating the need to use 4 seals. I wonder why Deluxe chose to duplicate it instead of just make one piece to make the inlet ring sit at the 22mm height?
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Carneiro
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Carneiro »

I think they wanted to use the original V-gasket and keep all rubber instead of a high metal cylinder/ring.

KnowGood

#9: Post by KnowGood » replying to Carneiro »

The more I think about, I bet they did it like this because they have those brass v ring spreaders on hand and didn't want to machine anything.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

Carneiro
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Carneiro »

Well, that was my second thought and I bet you're right. Why bother to make something new, right?

Now you let me thinking, maybe I could use your idea and use 2 seals too, so I would keep 3 extras as I've ordered 4 from EP already (and there was 1 new with the machine already).

Márcio.