1956 Gaggia Internazionale 1 Group - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman (original poster)

#41: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Ok, am starting to get paranoid now. The last valve refuses to budge, it is stuck. I am wacking at it with a wrench and hammer to the point where I am becoming uncomfortable with the force after nearly a week of soaking and mild heat cycles (where water will start sizzling off the valve) and decided to step away from it before something snaps.

I want to ask if there is anyone who knows of a Gaggia valve of this design that is not a regular thread but rather a left handed thread. This is getting ridiculous but if there is any small chance I am going against the loosening direction I want to know about it. I can't see the threads of the fitting I am trying to loosen which compounds the issue but all other ones unscrew normally.

I feel like I should not be facing this much resistance against one valve with a 14 inch long wrench.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

civ

#42: Post by civ »

Hello:
IamOiman wrote: ... starting to get paranoid now.
Hmm ...
Stop, take a deep breath and a step back.
Relax.
IamOiman wrote: ... last valve refuses to budge ...
... stuck.
99.99% probability that it comes off the same way the other one.
Just stuck, don't think threads are crossed.

That's just my guess.
IamOiman wrote: ... wacking at it with a wrench and hammer ...
In my opinion, not the right way.
ie: the whacking with a wrench and hammer.
IamOiman wrote: ... soaking and mild heat cycles ...
You may want to try a different method.
Expansion and ultra fast contraction should do the trick.
You may have to do it a few times.

Get a small bucket with some cracked ice, coarse salt and a bit of water and make some nice slush, bland enough to be able to rapidly soak the part in it. Should all go a bit below 0° C.

Heat the part, not with a flame but with a hot air gun and get it hot enough to burn you if you touch it for more than 1 second.
When you get there, dip it real fast into the ice slush and leave it there for 10 minutes or more.
Add some more ice/salt if it melts too much.

While it is in the slush, make a pot of boiling water where the part fits loosely.
When the water boils, take the part from the slush, drop it in the boiling water and let cool.

But no whacking, you may break something.

Best,

CIV

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso

#43: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I went out and replaced my burned out heat gun, and did the heat/cool cycling as recommended by Julius. I'd dunk the valve in the icy water, wait 5-10 minutes, and quickly move it into the other bucket with boiling water + heat gun it after until I saw the water boil away. I repeated this cycle three times with no success yet. I'm unsure if it's me not heating/cooling it enough cycles or the valve at this point. It's not something I should rush but I am definitely getting frustrated by it and needed to walk away from it before I snapped and started mauling the fitting with something.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

shotwell

#44: Post by shotwell »

Sorry you're having such a hard time Ryan. I assume you've tried the very basic step of using a penetrating lubricant to attempt to dissolve any crud binding things up?

#45: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

oh yea, over a week's worth of soaking. I have it cleaned off right now as I mull over what to do going forward.

To make myself feel a little better I got the body assembly back together. It's nothing super complicated to do, just reversing the steps I did for disassembly, but some tweaking was needed for the 8 screws and brackets that hold the assembly together. You might notice a small gap between the round upper housing and the lower skirt. That is the tweaking that needs to be done to minimize that gap (and I've gotten it smaller more since this post). In the end as long as it's secure that is not a big issue for me.

I am seeing what I can fit inside the back piece for lighting. I was thinking LED but I need to see how to fit the transformer brick that converts AC to DC in the machine without damaging the brick from heat yet being able to secure it without permanent modifications. The six nuts holding that bracket with three studs actually cleaned up nicely with Evaporust and they are rust free now. The inside itself is cleaned up of grime but there are a few spots I could touch up from oxidation. However from experience with my President the bluish oxidation will slowly come back over time to fill the cleaned spots, but not progress beyond so that is not a super huge concern of mine. You might also notice a spherical nut is missing on the plexi that secures a decorative metal piece. It was originally missing even before it was picked up by Pascal (I did not see it in the seller pics). That is being addressed too.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Paul_Pratt

#46: Post by Paul_Pratt »

For the stuck valve, does the stem freely screw in an out? if that is stuck it can also bind everything up. They are unscrew anti clockwise.

#47: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Yes the rod/stem does freely move. Ok I'll keep focusing unscrewing the fitting normally then
-Ryan
LMWDP #612