Gaggia Factory 105 leaking piston?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kujako

#1: Post by Kujako »

So... my Rancilio Silvia seems to have a dead PID, and while I work on fixing that I thought I'd dust off my old Gaggia Factory. After cleaning it and plugging it in, I'm finding that water pours out of the piston as it comes up to a boil. Thinking this means new seals, but wanted to get a second set of opinions and see if there's any seal replacement guide out there.

Thanks,

jtrops

#2: Post by jtrops »

Assuming that the lever is down...

Water flowing without lifting the lever could mean the seals are done, or that the sleeve is cracked. Either job is quick to do, and if it's the seals you should be up and running in pretty short order once you have the replacements in hand.

There may be other culprits, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Kujako (original poster)

#3: Post by Kujako (original poster) »

Any disassembly guides? I can probably figure it out, but would prefer to know what goes where. Then I'll take a look and see if it's the gaskets or more serious.

Thanks,

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I think this guide would apply. It would be the La Pavoni new group AFAIK.

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... po_eng.htm
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Kujako (original poster)

#5: Post by Kujako (original poster) »

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

jtrops

#6: Post by jtrops »

It only takes a few minutes to lube the piston seals. That may be worth a try before doing anything else. There's a chance that it will get a seal, and it could rule out a cracked piston.

I posted a short vid on lubing the seals without pulling the piston awhile back. You can search La Pavoni seals and it should come up on this forum.

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

It is the new group (aka Millennium group) that you have on your G105, and the likely cause of water flowing out the group when the machine heats up would be a bad upper piston seal. In this case it's likely dry and hardened as a result of non-use. You may get it to soften and start to flare and seal by pumping the lever while the machine is heated up. Another possible cause of leaking there might be a bad sleeve o-ring or even a cracked sleeve.

Best bet is to just do a full rebuild with new gaskets and seals. HB sponsor Stefano's espressocare sells a rebuild kit for that, and also sells an inexpensive little tool that you can use to remove the sleeve if you want to replace that sleeve o-ring (see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQEaJh12gOA that shows the tool use). The other tool that you'll want and may not have in your toolbox is an internal circlip plier for the circlip at the piston rod gasket.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h
★ Helpful

Kujako (original poster)

#8: Post by Kujako (original poster) »

For now, I'll go to my fallbacks fallback and bust out the aeropress.