The future of the Cafelat Robot

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Charlemagne

#1: Post by Charlemagne » Oct 07, 2019, 11:34 am

Is there any news on potential updates to the design of the Cafelat Robot? I know it's a very simple device without much room for improvement, but I'm just curious if there's any information out there about the future of the robot. Crossing my fingers that Paul sees this and clues us in!

Mintyfresh

#2: Post by Mintyfresh » Oct 07, 2019, 11:50 am

I think he mentioned before that this is the final version of the robot. He's working on a different pressure gauge mount for people who would prefer being able to look directly down at it. I prefer the gauge mount the way it is. I'm also curious if there are any other future changes in mind.

jpender

#3: Post by jpender » Oct 07, 2019, 11:53 am

On 21 Feb 2019 Paul_Pratt wrote:The current version is done and will remain the same going forward. The regular Robot is the same now as the prototype many years ago and I do not plan on changing it. The only thing I have had to adjust is the pressure gauge tube on the Barista model.

Cafelat Robot User Experience

Charlemagne

#4: Post by Charlemagne » Oct 07, 2019, 12:10 pm

Case closed! Thanks jpender

Paul_Pratt

#5: Post by Paul_Pratt » Oct 11, 2019, 11:31 pm

To confirm no major changes required. We have invested in new die cast tools with a VERY high end manufacturer who will deliver to me painted aluminium bases and bodies. These first 1000 or so I have done all myself by hand. Based on the time spent and required to finish each one we have sold the first 1000 at a loss so we can't continue like this.

We will move forward with 3 colours, Green, Light Blue and an off white cream. We will have polished aluminium for the time being but for ease of production these will probably be phased out. Even if we added $50 for a premium aluminium it does not cover the extra labour.

There were minor changes to the body and plate but those were to aid manufacturing not design.

equedadoii

#6: Post by equedadoii » Oct 12, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hi Paul!

Thanks for the update. Do you know when these will be available to order?

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt » replying to equedadoii » Oct 13, 2019, 6:40 am

I am not putting any pressure whatsoever on the manufacturer, but some green will arrive this week and the blue and cream are pencilled in for Nov.

PCJAnt

#8: Post by PCJAnt » Oct 14, 2019, 4:26 am

Paul, thanks for the updates!

What about a basket for single dose! I think you have mention something about it on the past. If I put only around 7 to 8gr I am not able to tamp it as coffee bed remains very low. Definitively I would like to have it.

Paul_Pratt

#9: Post by Paul_Pratt » replying to PCJAnt » Oct 14, 2019, 7:02 am

You can use the paper filters. Right now I just paid for the new aluminium tools, I need to get some sales first before another big investment such as the basket.