Full size group

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi all. I had a strietman but wanted a full size group for better accessories. Got a Londinium but then had to quit milk...so am tempted to go back to a strietman but really prefer a 58mm. Is there something close to the strietman with 58mm? Only the robot I think? (which I'm not considering.)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

yoshi005

#2: Post by yoshi005 »

The Flair 58 could be an alternative.
LMWDP #453

mathof

#3: Post by mathof »

Londinium is developing a relatively inexpensive (under £1,000) lever machine. This has been in the works for years, but Reiss wrote recently: "we remain on target to get a pre-production sample together this month, June". https://londiniumespresso.com/blog

MemPast

#4: Post by MemPast »

The OE Odessy will have 58 group:
https://www.odysseyespresso.com/

Ad-85

#5: Post by Ad-85 replying to MemPast »

Ross is doing an amazing job! I've been following him from the start and I'm getting one when he releases the OE-1
Cool features :
2 spring options generating 6 or 8 bars
Spring lever or manual!
Those two features alone got me interested in this small machine.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

Jesse.F

#6: Post by Jesse.F replying to Ad-85 »

Despite just buying a pump machine, I'm still planning on getting one of these. I'm usually not keen on buying a first gen product, but after having a few in impromptu conversations with them on IG I feel confident in picking up one of these as soon as they become available.

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

Same here :mrgreen: Ross's communication skills are great and he knows what people actually want and he tries to deliver. I suggested to him an open boiler spring lever/manual without steam for us who don't want steaming option and he was open to the idea too.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

Jesse.F

#8: Post by Jesse.F replying to Ad-85 »

This is literally one of the things I was talking to him about, that and possibly selling a self assembly kit, since one of the goals of his machine is to bring down cost. A kit without the wood (I assume most people interested in a DIY build would also want to, and be able to, do custom wood) would bring cost and shipping down even further.

I know his goal is to sell sh**, and being nice to potential buyers helps with that, but apparently I'm not the first person to have suggested this to him. (I was simply asking half jokingly, because I thought it would mean I could get my hands on one sooner if I didn't have to wait for final assembly ha ha)

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

Yep he is being nice to us but it feels good tho :mrgreen:
I wish him success and I hope his machine works as planned.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

Diogenes

#10: Post by Diogenes »

Jesse.F wrote:This is literally one of the things I was talking to him about, that and possibly selling a self assembly kit, since one of the goals of his machine is to bring down cost. A kit without the wood (I assume most people interested in a DIY build would also want to, and be able to, do custom wood) would bring cost and shipping down even further.

I know his goal is to sell sh**, and being nice to potential buyers helps with that, but apparently I'm not the first person to have suggested this to him. (I was simply asking half jokingly, because I thought it would mean I could get my hands on one sooner if I didn't have to wait for final assembly ha ha)
Interesting idea.... A self assembly kit. I'm thinking perhaps he could sell it with or without a portafilter as many people who are likely to purchase this machine will likely have one around. Still... at a target price of $800 for the base model. I wonder if it's worth the headache of offering multiple SKUs.

I'm relatively new to the world of serious home espresso but on the surface at least.... the espresso equipment market reminds me of high end audio. Lots of room for debate with a ton of variability on the subjective measures for what's "good". What I've also noticed is that like high end audio... technology and advancements move at a snails pace with a healthy dose of skepticism for anything that's new/different.

Having spent 30+ years in development engineering, using the Odyssey OE-1 is Ross's resume, I would absolutely hire him. He has worked in the Aerospace industry who hire the best thermal/fluid dynamics engineers. The espresso machine manufacturers? Not sure the extent of their engineering expertise but I suspect they have better experience in the nuances of boiling water.
What I find very intriguing about the OE-1 is how he intends to control the boiler temperature by taking into account the group's temperature and thermal mass. This looks very elegant.
Also he's not just buying some off the shelf PID controller. He's actually designed and built a microprocessor, power input and output PCB. Simple, undergrad level electrical engineering stuff that any competent development engineer who's worked across multiple disciplines should be extremely comfortable in implementing but I wonder if the traditional manufacturers have this level of capability.
High end audio for years was dominated by "tinkerers"... the TV repairman types with limited understanding of electronics but through experience and empiricism, were able to produce equipment that made beautiful sound. There are some in this industry who are pushing the technology forward but in many cases they have to overcome the "heretic" branding. I think OE-1 should be scrutinized because ultimately "pretty is as pretty does"... but to me, the OE-1 looks like a great step forward for levers.