From All-Clad/Presso to Faema Baby - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sweaner

#11: Post by sweaner »

Ron wrote:Hi Sweaner (and others),
Sweaner, if you got your machine and it has the same problem, maybe we can trade ideas about the best solution (or anyone else here in the same boat).
Mine too! Here is the email that Francesco sent:

the code of the gaskets is DE225
OD 54 mm, ID 40 mm
but you could find a better one

regarding the new gaskets I am asking to many suppliers but I have not yet an answer for a reasonable price

He is looking for a better option. He will sell you this seal or you could source it yourself. I ordered a U-cup seal from eBay, but I have no idea if it will be the right size. Definitely no hypodermics of that size.
Scott
LMWDP #248

sweaner

#12: Post by sweaner »

Oh, he will sell you those seals.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
Ron (original poster)

#13: Post by Ron (original poster) »

Thanks for the info. I will try to find that size in a food safe seal. I was wondering if the seal Francesco sells is food safe.

I also saw a YouTube video by a person at BabyGasket@web.de and I also emailed him. I watched another video by Orphan Espresso but I didn't care for the idea that you have to keep putting more Dow 111 on to maintain the seal.

I saw lots of websites where they sell huge numbers of seals wholesale. I tried to seach for piston plunger seals and similar items. It would be nice to find a store where you could just try a lot on the piston to see what fits.

I also checked on DE225 seals and they show a little different OD and ID than you quoted.

What they have is: 57.15 X 44.45 X 6.3 DE-225

https://www.metricsealsinc.com/de-225-n ... 4-45-x-6-3

sweaner

#14: Post by sweaner »

I suspect that the 57.5 is actually correct. If you find anything let us know!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Ron (original poster)

#15: Post by Ron (original poster) replying to sweaner »

I just saw the YouTube video from 2013 by a person named David (BabyGasket@web.de) with a clear silicone gasket that looks exactly like the original. Also, someone on this site was selling a similar item in 2017 for $57, quite a bit for a single gasket. I sent messages to both, but did not get an answer yet. Maybe they were a special order and none are left.

The video with the silicone gasket: http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 2zkavw8jnA

At around 1:00 into the video you can see the gasket fitted onto the piston.

sweaner

#16: Post by sweaner »

I too am awaiting an answer from the creator of that video. I wonder if we could find a simple O-ring that could fit?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Hoodoo Rocket

#17: Post by Hoodoo Rocket »

Bumping this thread from a few months ago..

Ron, did you get a response from BabyGasket@web.de? Wondering if these are still available before I bring a new baby into the house...

Advertisement
sweaner

#18: Post by sweaner »

I don't think that anyone has heard from that seal creator.

We have been able to get our Baby's working by using an O-Ring just above the original seal, so I would suggest that you get one! I think that I can still find my supply of O-Rings if you need one.
Scott
LMWDP #248

voozy

#19: Post by voozy »

Congrats! I think the Cafelat Robot is a tribute to the Faema Baby. I wonder if the seals interchange. Orphan Espresso has a Faemina seal kit: https://www.orphanespresso.com/Faema-Fa ... c_202.html

I don't know if that is the same machine. They might have some alternative too.
Everyone drinks Voozy.

Ron (original poster)

#20: Post by Ron (original poster) »

I tried to get a whole new gasket for a while but my alternative solution of putting an o-ring at the top of the old gasket has worked so well that I'm just sticking with it. It's a standard plumbing o-ring as I illustrated above. If I get my grind and tamp right it makes an excellent espresso and it's faster and easier than my other machines. The Danco #100 o-ring works best for me, seated over the original gasket at the top. Pulling the levers down, I get exactly the volume I want, around a 1:1.5 coffee:water ratio. A second pull clears all the water out of the portafilter and leaves a dry puck.

Of course, this setup is based on my having a decent, intact original gasket, which is just a bit too narrow, so the o-ring provides the seal. If there was a torn gasket or none at all, I'd have to search for another type of o-ring and I'm not sure how well it would work.

The Cafelat gasket is not intended to fit the Faemina Baby, but maybe it would work as my extra o-ring. I didn't order one since I can get the Danco #100 locally for under one dollar and it works. I haven't bothered to order a large package of 20 o-rings; my nearby hardware store sells them singly.

You can see the Danco #100 on the company website at:
https://www.danco.com/product/100-o-ring-20-per-bag/