Flair Shower Screen

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 12, 2019, 2:04 pm

Okay. Love the Flair. Hate the shower screen!! Always have an issue removing it after a shot. Any tips to make picking it loose any easier? What about removing the silicone and just laying it on top of the puck? Sorta like the new Pro. Thanks

MikeTheBlueCow

Postby MikeTheBlueCow » Jun 12, 2019, 10:17 pm

What is your dose? I used to push my screen down into the pf to sit on top of the puck, and with a 15g dose I would always find it sitting on top, pushed back out of the pf by the expanded puck. I don't think there's a problem with removing the silicone to imitate the Pro's screen; but with that, I have to push down on one side into the puck to tilt it and lift the opposite side, and it can be hot. I'm also not sure how much of a gap there would be from the portafilter walls, nor if that would affect how easily the water flows down the sides of the puck. The screen on the Pro fits pretty snug against the pf walls.

tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 12, 2019, 11:03 pm

I'm using 15 grams too. I just can't seem to get a hold of the doggone thing to pull it out when I clean the assembly.

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to tag1260 » Jun 12, 2019, 11:36 pm

What happens when you blow through the spout?
LMWDP #603

tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 12, 2019, 11:41 pm

I have had no success doing this until I remove the screen. I tried many times! I thought this would work.. Not a major problem but just an annoyance. Judt thought someone has something to make it easier.

On side note I have two portafilters and theyare both different. One seems smaller. by just a tiny bit, and one seems to be out of round just a little.

MikeTheBlueCow

Postby MikeTheBlueCow » Jun 13, 2019, 6:52 am

tag1260 wrote:I'm using 15 grams too. I just can't seem to get a hold of the doggone thing to pull it out when I clean the assembly.

That's interesting. My puck always expanded and would be risen above the pf, with the screen sitting on it like a hat. I have no idea why yours wouldn't be the same way.

tv79

Postby tv79 » Jun 13, 2019, 7:52 am

I use a napkin.

vit

Postby vit » Jun 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:That's interesting. My puck always expanded and would be risen above the pf, with the screen sitting on it like a hat. I have no idea why yours wouldn't be the same way.

Puck "expands" if I pull the PF out of the cylinder. It's actually pushed up by atmospheric pressure, as when pulling it, vacuum forms between the puck and piston

If I push the piston through the cylinder to push the PF out, puck doesn't "expand". I had to do it this way with original PF due to very tight fit (sometimes I even had to use a rubber mallet to hit the piston 1 or 2 times). My bottomless PF doesn't have as tight fit, it's relatively easy to pull it out

MikeTheBlueCow

Postby MikeTheBlueCow » replying to vit » Jun 13, 2019, 2:28 pm

Oh that explains it. I've never had to do that; I also usually cooled my group under my faucet which helped it loosen up to make pulling the cylinder off the pf easier.