Flair Espresso Maker (Kickstarter) - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wsfarrell

#11: Post by wsfarrell »

doubleOsoul wrote:Can't beat $100 but I couldn't agree more on the Caravel. Plus I kinda like his first prototype more. Looks like the old Sears drill press stand I used to have for my foredom.
Prototype is indeed cool. Looks like it has a rubber band to bring the "lever" back up.

MikFlores300

#12: Post by MikFlores300 »

This reminds me of an Aeropress with the Spressa Mezzo level. It didn't appear to have a shower screen to me either.

Advertisement
AmericanoGirl

#13: Post by AmericanoGirl »

I've been looking to upgrade my espresso set up at home, and I wondered if, since I never find myself steaming milk, if I'd find something that puts all its quality into just the espresso extraction like a La Marzocco "shot brewer" but within my budget.

I was looking at the ROK then came across this Flair espresso maker on Kickstarter for what seems like a good deal (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... esso-maker)---does anybody have experience with these types of devices?

Any insight appreciated!

jfrescki

#14: Post by jfrescki »

My $.02, but I'd go with an espresso forge for $250, built by an HB member with feedback from the community, before I'd go with any kickstarter that may or may not happen, and with unknown results. You could probably run over the forge with your car and still use it. Of course either of these must be paired with a good grinder. and fresh coffee.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

AmericanoGirl

#15: Post by AmericanoGirl replying to jfrescki »

Hm, I'll have to look into the Forge. Though if it's doing a similar thing to the Flair it's definitely tempting to go for the ~$100 cheaper option.

HB
Admin

#16: Post by HB »

AmericanoGirl wrote:I was looking at the ROK then came across this Flair espresso maker on Kickstarter...
Merged with thread on same subject.
Dan Kehn

day

#17: Post by day »

ouch, all signs pointing to walk the other way imo.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by samuellaw178 »

AmericanoGirl wrote:Hm, I'll have to look into the Forge. Though if it's doing a similar thing to the Flair it's definitely tempting to go for the ~$100 cheaper option.
To me the Forge seems a much better option. Proven and built to last forever.

Concern about the Flair :
i) mechanical integrity over long term - I can foresee the arm holding the brew unit can bend after long term use
ii) no shower screen - even packing is quite crucial for good espresso, and pouring water from the top just ruins the coffee puck
iii) the demo shot didn't look that good and brew pressure unproven (they claim 16 bar...).

But it is cheap @ $100. Like any Kickstarter (with plenty of examples in the past), there is a risk of non-delivery and long delays. Compared to Rok/Presso, the Flair seems like a better alternative (if it delivers).

AmericanoGirl

#19: Post by AmericanoGirl »

samuellaw178 wrote: Compared to Rok/Presso, the Flair seems like a better alternative (if it delivers).
Thanks for the info. Good things to consider.

I guess I'm curious what, despite your hesitations you mentioned, you think would make the Flair a better choice than the ROK/Presso?

markmark1

#20: Post by markmark1 replying to AmericanoGirl »

I'd say the stainless steel "brew chamber" and aluminum vs. plastic construction.