Flair Classic (& co): your ristretto recipes ? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
happycat

#11: Post by happycat »

rv03 wrote:Thanks Vit !

Will try long brew time. For now I have considerably reduced my coffee consumption these days, due to some gastrointestinal virus imported at home from the daycare...

Just before this little concern, I have tried my "darker roast than usual" : like the lower acidity but leaves an aftertaste I don't like. I won't stick with second crack.
For darker beans try cooler brewing water.
LMWDP #603

rv03 (original poster)

#12: Post by rv03 (original poster) »

~90 C or below ?

happycat

#13: Post by happycat replying to rv03 »

I've done high 80s to get rid of roastiness.
LMWDP #603

happycat

#14: Post by happycat »

I've been pulling ristrettos recently on the Flair and have come to quite enjoy them.

- using a home roast taken just past 2C
- 16g single dose
- ground on a Sette 270
- non-preheated cylinder due to darker roast (I usually preheat)
- pulled 16g shots

Rich and syrupy. With my Ethiopian Yirgacheffe I got sweet pineapple.

I swapped to a second cup to capture the second half of the shot.
LMWDP #603

rv03 (original poster)

#15: Post by rv03 (original poster) »

Thanks for your shared experience Happycat. Do you grind finer to slow down the extraction ?

No preheat at all : did you measure your water temperature before droping the piston ? Never tried yet I'm curious. (I reach 93c after steam preheat over my kettle )

Not much eperiments myself these times for several reasons. Tried an espresso blend from a local roaster and I think I will stick with it for a while : good taste\fiddling ratio ! :)

happycat

#16: Post by happycat replying to rv03 »

Grind maybe 1 micro finer. With a second crack roast there is more moisture loss and more solids per weight anyway. Haven't done ristrettos with my usual medium roast.

Probably steady lighter pressure on the pull after a 10-15s preinfuse. Probably a few bar lower, more like 4-5 vs. 7-8.

For temps, I have no measurement but based on experience was aiming for high 80s or maybe 90 based on the darker roast.
LMWDP #603