Flair 58+ when does water hit the puck?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mcdddy

#1: Post by mcdddy »

Hi - I have a new flair 58+. When I pour water into the brew chamber with tamped coffee puck in portafilter locked in - is the water held in the brew chamber suspended above the puck or is water already entering the puck before pulling down on he lever to begin my shot?
Not sure if it matters but after locking in pf with tamped coffee puck and puck screen I start with the lever down fill the chamber with water raise lever all the way up top up water to make sure zero air at the top then begin my shot.

Gm7dha

#2: Post by Gm7dha »

I believe the water starts to flow pretty much as soon as you lift the lever ever so slightly.

I'm guessing you'd get a wetting of the puck whilst you top-up the chamber (ie after filling and lifting the lever), then start pre-infusion/extraction as you start to press down

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Brewzologist »

https://streamable.com/zc25v7

If this video is accurate, I think flow wouldn't really start until you pull on the lever. As someone else pointed out, "surface tension is real". 8)

MCal2003

#4: Post by MCal2003 »

Assuming the F58+ has the same plunger heating element design as the std F58.
The few times I forgot to place the puck screen. The preinfusion drip appear at 0 bars. Pulling the lever to 2 bars is usually required. Guessing without the screen the water hits the puck the moment the first drops of water leave the kettle.

Gm7dha, is correct. This AM poured some water into the reservoir without the portafilter attached. As soon as the lever was lifted the water poured out.
LMWDP #151

EvanOz85

#5: Post by EvanOz85 »

mcdddy wrote:Hi - I have a new flair 58+. When I pour water into the brew chamber with tamped coffee puck in portafilter locked in - is the water held in the brew chamber suspended above the puck or is water already entering the puck before pulling down on he lever to begin my shot?
Not sure if it matters but after locking in pf with tamped coffee puck and puck screen I start with the lever down fill the chamber with water raise lever all the way up top up water to make sure zero air at the top then begin my shot.
You know you can just test this yourself by pouring the water in without a portafilter in place, right?

Gm7dha

#6: Post by Gm7dha »

Brewzologist wrote:https://streamable.com/zc25v7

If this video is accurate, I think flow wouldn't really start until you pull on the lever. As someone else pointed out, "surface tension is real". 8)
Very interesting to see this. I would never have thought the mesh filter would have held back a column of water. However, looking at it, it looks like cold water was used and not water just off the boil. I'm willing to bet there would be a different outcome.

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

pupperino714
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by pupperino714 »

no it amounts to the same. No pre-infusion happens without the lever going down because it is a closed system--neutral pressure.

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

Brewzologist wrote:https://streamable.com/zc25v7

Perhaps if the puck screen forms a good enough seal along the edge. I tried it with actual baskets in the Flair (no puck) and the water flows through immediately.

On the other hand, pre-infusion will be limited with a regular tamped puck in there. Probably only the top few mm at most.
mcdddy wrote:Not sure if it matters but after locking in pf with tamped coffee puck and puck screen I start with the lever down fill the chamber with water raise lever all the way up top up water to make sure zero air at the top then begin my shot.
I don't think you need to worry too much about it too much, even if it takes 20 seconds. Seems better than the alternative, to start with the piston up. You'll get more yield if you fill the chamber slowly and also avoid disturbing the puck (I've actually gotten a shallow crater filling the other way). Wish there was a better way.